Mobile Bugs, and Space Prototype Name
Hey Folks! Spent most of the day tackling some more mobile bugs today. I actually managed to fix two more!
The first was a bug with item mirroring. Items such as shoes were not appearing mirrored when they should be, both while uninstalled and installed on a socket. This turned out to be related to the way the new engine loads images. It uses sprite atlases instead of individual images, for performance reasons, and this meant some differences to how sprites get flipped horizontally. I was able to consolidate the mirroring code, and all seems well now.
The second issue was causing water to not go into bottles when released. As it turned out, bottles were being flagged as non-rigid, again due to the atlases. In this case, because atlases rotate some images to pack them tighter, the full/empty images for the bottle were at different orientations, and the game thought that meant it changed size when full. A bit of extra handling code in here fixed that, and I could store water again!
Both are pretty minor bugs, but I'm still coming at the list from the easy side while Tiago tackles the hard stuff :)
In other news, I took a bit of time today to start brainstorming name ideas for the space prototype. I've had a few in mind already, but haven't found one I'm crazy about yet. Some of the criteria I'm trying to fulfill:
- Does it sound interesting enough to warrant a further look?
- Is the name likely to be confused with or infringe upon another product? E.g. other games, shows, movies, toys, studios, etc.
- Would Googling the name result in this game, or something else?
- Are the URL and Trademark taken?
- Does the name communicate that this is related to NEO Scavenger?
- Does it communicate that this is a parallel story?
- Does the name imply spaceships?
- Crew management?
- Building and customization?
- Solar System travel? (As opposed to interstellar travel.)
- Is it easy to say/hear in a loud environment? (Seriously, imagine telling someone the name at a concert. Does one have to spell it out letter by letter?)
- Can it be made into a good logo? (What if "NEO Scavenger" words have to be part of the logo?)
Obviously, this is a tall order to fill, and some criteria may be mutually exclusive. Even NEO Scavenger fails some of these. But it's important to consider these things, and at least try to get as many as possible.
The big ones, though, are the first 4.
One trick I'm considering is the combo name, a la Star Wars and other franchises. Namely, "Blah Blah: A NEO Scavenger Story" or "NEO Scavenger: Blah Blah." This knocks out a lot of the confusion and IP law issues almost immediately. But it's a mouthful, hard to logo, and may have other issues.
So that's on my mind. I'm getting tired of calling it "NEO Scavenger: Space Prototype." YouTube videos ask for a game title to tag it with. People are trying to tell friends and have no name to use, etc. It's coming high time I nail this down :)