New NEO Scavenger Test Build 1.14: Autosave, Modding Features, and Bug Fixes
I've just finished uploading new test build 1.14, which includes a new autosave feature, new modding map label feature, and several bug fixes.
The build is available to anyone who owns the game at bluebottlegames.com, or on Desura and Steam. Desura (and therefore, Groupees) users can use Desura Connect to gain access here, or even get their Steam keys and try it on Steam.
To access the test build on the official site, simply visit the game page, and click any of the download links below the usual Windows, Mac, and Linux buttons (look for a red "Test" button).
Steam users can access the test build by opting into the beta for it.
Updates Included in the Test Build
Test build 1.14 includes the following changes:
- Added optional autosave feature to save game at the beginning of each new turn.
- Added ability to choose whether encounter map labels appear on minimap by adding =0 or =1 at end of data. If missing, assumes minimap label added.
- Changed crowded map labels near DMC gates to be invisible on minimap, so only gates visible.
- Fixed a bug that allowed communal barrel fires to be destroyed in extinguished fire recipe.
- Fixed a bug in loading screen that prevented log from being added to clipboard if error in XML file.
- Fixed a bug that misreported 0.0 charges on charged encounter items.
- Fixed several null pointer bugs when loading save file that included content missing from currently-installed mods.
- Fixed a null pointer bug if game tried to load recipe scrap for missing recipe.
The big change here is the new autosave feature. It'll try to save the game at the beginning of each turn so your progress is not lost in the event of a power outage, crash, or other event. It is enabled by default, and can be disabled on the options screen. Note that permadeath is still active, and your save will be deleted if your character dies.
Also, some modding enhancements made their way into this build. The loading screen logs should now be fixed in the event of bad XML format. And minimap labels can now be controlled by modders. An =0 means no label, while =1 means a label is added to the map. Default assumes a label is added.
Finally, the number of charges in an encounter item are now correctly reported, among some other null pointer fixes.
The likelihood that this version of NEO Scavenger will work with previous saves is: likely.
As usual, the older the save game version, the less likely it is to work.
As always, let me know what you think of the changes, and if you notice any issues with the new build!