Army Surplus Store Idea
I already made a working shop and currently its inventory consist "only" on:
- Canvas backpacks;
- duffel basg;
- water purification tablets;
- Electronic water testers;
- rifle scopes;
- rifle shoulder straps;
- night vision goggles (and specific battery);
- gas masks (and working cartridges);
- compound bows (and professional arrows);
- sleeping bags (still undecided about adding both variants or only the better "pharaoh" one);
- tactical gear (gloves, balaclava, viper boots, helmet and armor).
"And the actual weapons?", one could ask, well..that's what I would like some opinions about.
Judging on what the reality of the city seems to be, would it be really that simple, for a perfect stranger coming from "outside the walls", to buy fire arms?
One could bribe the vendor, sure, but my concern is also, how much, or badly, would such "store" do, to the balance of the game?
Some of the items I listed aren't really that difficult to find, and some others (like armor and weapons) are just expensive enough to be considerable even beneficial to the game (as a money sink for late game players).
The same though, cannot be said about the gas mask cartridges, very rare and quite useful to scavenge the black swamp (as well as avoiding nasty blue disease..), and other minor things that could potentially lead to a milder game experience, too simple and planned to offer a challenge anymore.
Another issue, instead, would come from a "realism" point of view.
For example, one would expect to find much more gear inside a store of that kind, like:
- tents (at least a cheap one and a more advanced one);
- an actual fire starter (like those steel magnesium rods);
- MREs (Military Emergency Rations);
- self defense devices (pepper spray, tasers, etc etc )
and so on.
But I would prefer to find a more "vanilla friendly" solution, instead of adding so much new stuff. Otherwise keeping the game balanced would become a much harder objective.
Besides, I am not sure how possible would e to make new item icons with a graphic style close enough to the original game one.
That said though, I am not completely opposite a fully fledged mod, in case a proper one would arise.
And that's all. I hope to hear many constructive opinions.