New Test Build 0.9951b: New Artwork, New Items and Recipes, and Early Game Help
I've just finished uploading new test beta 0.9951b, which includes new artwork, new items and recipes, and fixes for v0.995b.
The build is available to anyone who owns the beta at bluebottlegames.com, or on Desura and Steam. Desura (and therefore, Groupees) users can use Desura Connect to gain access here, or even get their Steam keys and try it on Steam.
To access the test build on the official site, simply visit the beta page, and click any of the download links below the usual Windows, Mac, and Linux buttons.
Steam users can access the test build by opting into the beta for it.
Updates Included in the Test Beta
Test beta 0.9951b includes the following changes:
- Added illustration to Red Gnome encounter.
- Added makeshift sack item.
- Added recipes for making makeshift sack from sleeping bags or sheets and thread.
- Added small and medium battery sparker items to game.
- Added recipes for creating battery sparkers.
- Added sunlight item to game.
- Added recipes for creating small fire from focused sunlight.
- Added short shorts item and recipe.
- Added creature sprites for bags and boxes.
- Added button to toggle font size in message window.
- Added code to show precise temperature if player is carrying a thermometer.
- Changed Radiation Bob to always be there.
- Changed hexes adjoining cryo to be non-random, to prevent unfair starting terrain (e.g. all hills/woods).
- Changed Merga Wraith to be tougher.
- Removed "To Core City" marker on DMC map, as it was suggesting more city could be visited.
- Fixed a bug that caused ATN conversation to bail if no choice was made.
- Fixed a bug that caused opponent condition list to show old battle info if current opponent is not visible.
- Fixed a bug that caused encounter items to disappear when using drag cursor mode.
- Fixed a bug that caused degrading items in unoccupied hex camps to disappear.
- Fixed a bug that caused some slot-based conditions to be ignored on AI when spawning.
- Fixed typos in DMC convo and Haggerty diag.
- Fixed a bug that showed weight on ability/flaw tooltips.
- Fixed a typo in Stoat conversation.
- Fixed a bug that caused some items to be missing in encounters if stored vertically (too big).
- Fixed line-wrap in ability point total text in small UI mode.
- Fixed typo in flaw instructions text.
One of the big changes here is the batch of new artwork in the game. All carried and worn containers now have creature sprites, so you can see what NPCs are carrying from afar. The Red Gnome location now has an illustration, too.
I also made several changes which should help stabilize the early game from too much bad luck. There are new ways to start fires without a lighter or Trapping skill, there is now a makeshift sack for carrying things, the hexes adjoining cryo should have a better balance, and Radiation Bob is now always home to be visited.
However, Bob still has dangers to watch out for. And I also decided to make the Merga Wraith tougher, to address the swell in players defeating it lately.
Finally, there is also a GUI update to the message box in certain resolutions that allows players to switch font size, in case there's too much scrolling.
The likelihood that this version of NEO Scavenger will work with previous saves is: likely.
As usual, the older the save game version, the less likely it is to work.
As always, let me know what you think of the changes, and if you notice any issues with the new build!