New Test Beta: Non-Hostile NPCs, Factions, Armor, and Clothing Sprites
I've just finished uploading new beta test build 0.983b, which includes non-hostile NPC interactions, dynamic factions, armor, and new creature sprites. There are now two violent gangs roaming the map, DMC guards patrolling the sprawl, and looters caught in the middle. What's more, all of them are "strangers" until they do something that identifies them as friend or foe.
The build is available to anyone who owns the beta at bluebottlegames.com, or on Desura and Steam. Desura (and therefore, Groupees) users can use Desura Connect to gain access here, or even get their Steam keys and try it on Steam.
To access the test build on the official site, simply visit the beta page, and click any of the download links below the usual Windows, Mac, and Linux buttons.
Steam users can access the test build by opting into the beta for it. To do so, open up your Steam client and:
- Right-click on NEO Scavenger in your Steam library
- Choose "Properties"
- Choose the "BETAS" tab in the resulting dialog box.
- In the drop-down, select "public_test."
Following the above steps will begin downloading version 0.983 immediately. Just click "Play" when it's done!
Updates Included in Beta Test Build
So what exactly is in this new test build? A lot, actually. It's been over a month since the last update, and I hadn't realized how much stuff has accumulated. Here's a list:
- Added DMC Guard faction to game. Guards patrol around DMC sprawl, slightly favorable to player, and attack any hostiles and monsters. Carry special equipment.
- Added armor to the game. New armor items added, and old clothing items now have armor values.
- Added new clothing types and a firearm to game.
- Added non-hostile NPCs to game. Some NPCs will ignore player, and even fight against common foes.
- Added factions and reputations to game. Creatures will remember good and bad experiences with other creatures, and will share this info with any allies they meet.
- Added ability to talk with wandering NPCs. Each has default greetings, and some have multiple conversations.
- Added ability to offer ceasefire to enemy at the penalty of one extra move. Can also accept enemy ceasefire.
- Added ability to right-click a creature in the same hex to re-engage after talks/ceasefire exits battle.
- Added crippling effects to arms and legs for severe cut damage.
- Added item damage when wound slots hit.
- Added Project Zomboid button to title screen.
- Added code to remove temporary battle conditions when exiting battle (recovering, stun, distracted, vulnerable, suppressed).
- Added code to prevent random creature spawns above global population cap.
- Added code to prevent too many creatures of the same faction from randomly spawning in a small area.
- Added code to limit melonheads calling reinforcements.
- Added new battle move for drawing attention to self when hidden (to help target that doesn't see you).
- Added code to make AI follow leader's example with passive vs. active moves in battle.
- Added ability to ditch vehicle in combat.
- Changed NPC names to be "Stranger" unless they attack or talk to player.
- Changed creature names to show "Leader" if that creature is followed by others nearby.
- Changed creature sprites on map to show what they are wearing and holding.
- Changed raiders and bandits to Bad Muthas and Blue Frogs gangs, to better match lore.
- Changed the attack and injury system mechanics for better consistency.
- Changed opening cryo encounter to remain in same hex when climbing out the window after dealing with dogman.
- Changed "water (any)" ingredient to require the "water" property, removing some liquids as potential ingredients.
- Changed main map button to have TAB as hotkey, rather than Q (since Q toggles Items screen).
- Changed wearable items to prefer slotting first, then carrying in hands.
- Changed melonheads so they are unable to equip helmets/headwear.
- Changed workboot and jeans art to be smoother, more consistent with other clothes.
- Changed noise traps to be worth $1.50 so they are not auto-picked as ingredients before pill bottles.
- Changed encounter question item image to match style of other items.
- Changed campsites to automatically slot even if cursor in drag mode (to prevent new user confusion).
- Changed scavenging locked storage shed to have lock bypass encounter to gain entrance.
- Changed creatures to have more variety in starting skills and traits.
- Fixed a bug that caused item-swapping to allow item overlap in containers.
- Fixed a bug that allowed a stack to be swapped into a slot which caused the stack to disappear. (E.g. swapping bandages in wounds)
- Fixed a bug that caused too many creatures to spawn in random spawns.
- Fixed a null pointer bug in AI looting code (null scentowner).
- Fixed all "small or medium" ingredients to not allow "very large" items.
- Fixed noise trap recipe to avoid recursive crafting.
- Fixed a bug that caused blunt damage to not be reported on arms and legs.
- Fixed a bug that caused cut wounds to be preferred over blunt wounds if weapon did both types of damage.
- Fixed a bug that caused getting up and advancing in combat to trigger passive moves from allies when inappropriate.
- Fixed a bug that caused AI to treat unconscious teammates as non-faction allies.
- Fixed a bug that caused cut damage to ignore bleeding and infection effects.
- Fixed a bug that caused AI to choose attack modes with no ammo.
- Fixed a bug that caused current camp to disappear from inventory when using hide.
- Fixed a bug that caused AI to carry items that they could equip instead.
- Fixed a bug that allowed stacking items in slots other than holding hand slots.
- Fixed a bug that allowed stacking object onto itself, causing infinite loop.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused items to slot into hands when already carrying something, causing a null pointer.
- Fixed animal AI so it doesn't wield arrows stuck in wounds.
- Fixed a bug in getwoundlocation that returns null if damage is 0 or less.
- Fixed a bug that prevented some reverse recipes from producing original components if they degraded.
- Fixed sprite alignment of creatures in hexes when more than one present, so player is always in middle.
- Fixed a bug that caused AI to double-count self as ally when calculating map movement.
- Fixed a bug that prevented weapon from discharging on successful ranged burst.
- Fixed a bug that prevented using NV goggles in locked storage shed scavenging.
- Fixed bug that allowed water tester to be used if no charges inside.
- Fixed inconsistent pricing on RF1:D software.
- Fixed Isotope Mine cistern encounter to accept all types of iSlabs and smartphones.
- Fixed a bug that caused camp items to get bugged/stuck when loading a game in a hex with non-default camp set.
- Fixed a bug that caused hex-based encounters to interrupt current encounter when loading a save game inside an encounter.
- Fixed Merga Wraith perishing of food/water/heat deficiency.
- Fixed a bug that caused player to get stuck in Radiation Bob encounter if they bought the RTG.
- Fixed a bug that forced player to buy RTG or get stuck if no items were able to be traded.
- Fixed a bug that caused Hatter not to take iSlabs that player offers.
- Fixed a bug that caused Zom Zom's not to take admission fees that player offers.
- Fixed typos in Hatter encounter, AI navigation text.
Like I said, a lot.
Much of this is new stuff to see and play with, but hopefully, quite a lot will fix issues that people encountered in 0.982. And if this build seems stable enough, I'll make it the official build to replace 0.982. (And likely, update the demo at that time, too.)
As always, let me know if you have any feedback or issues with this build. And have fun!