Hooking Things Up
Yesterday's work got armor mostly working, so today I tied up some loose ends with the new feature. Namely, making sure armor condition dropped when it did its job, and retro-fitting existing clothes with minimal armor values.
Then, it was all about tying up the rest of the loose ends, and trying to get to a point where it's good to upload. In no particular order, this included:
- Adding code to stop melonheads from wearing helmets. (To make sprite art look better on humans.)
- Fixing AI so animals don't pull arrows out of wounds and wield them.
- Fixing a bug in wounding that happens when damage is 0 (exposed by armor).
- Adding a "Try Project Zomboid!" button to the title screen, since those chaps have been gracious enough to do so with NEO Scavenger on theirs.
- Adding code to identify creatures by their real names if they attack or talk to the player. (Otherwise, they're "strangers".)
- Tweaked faction standings so Bad Muthas and Blue Frogs are more aggressive to each other, looters, and player.
- Added new faction, DMC Guards, to game. They spawn near DMC in pairs, and have appropriate loadouts.
I was able to spawn a DMC Guard squad ("goon squad"?) in the sprawl, and they look sufficiently imposing. In the process, however, I noticed a bug in the way AI takes/equips items. They were shoving some things in pockets that they should be equipping, and skipping some items that could've been worn if another slot was tried.
So tomorrow, I'm going to look into that AI bug. And from there, I think I'll start some more rigorous testing. See what's working vs. breaking. I still need to check the camp disappearing items bug to see if it's gone. And I think I also need to make sure some default conversations exist for DMC Guards (placeholders, if nothing else).
We're getting there, albeit slowly. Hoping to have something playable soon!