Encounter Debugging and Testing
Today, I finished plugging the holes in the encounter I've been working on.
A conversation that I had started needed to be finalized, and I decided to add one additional branch on the tree, for variety (and a bit of fun). Then, I verified everything had the hook-ups it needed. Encounter nodes needed their items for choosing options, condition flags for tracking choices, etc.
It took most of the day to make sure everything was covered, but eventually it came time to test. Wow, I sure missed a lot of details that revealed themselves right away. Sometimes I had plugged a value into "required conditions" instead of "delivered conditions," sometimes there were missing or mismatched items to choose from (meaning whole branches were inaccessible), and sometimes it was possible to repeat illogical sections of the encounter. It was pretty broken.
Fortunately, fixing those issues was only tedious, not difficult. Just a matter of testing a branch until hitting a roadblock, switching to the editor/DB, tweaking a value, and restarting/retesting. I managed to get most of it tested, and I think I should be able to finish testing tomorrow.
After that, I'm thinking I'll probably try to tackle a few smaller encounters before the next big one. Switch things up a bit.
Have a good night, all, and see you tomorrow!