Editor Fixes, and Continuing Encounter Work

I rewrote the editor's save routine this morning to work in batches, which allows me to save a larger number of encounter nodes before the process conks out. Once that was in place, I was able to rebuild the encounter structure pictured yesterday, and copy+paste the text for each node back in. By the time lunch rolled around, I was caught up with yesterday's work, plus the remaining portions of the node tree.

After lunch, I decided to switch gears. The writing/node-mapping was starting to get pretty tedious, so I started work on the encounter illustration. I looked at reference materials, collected those that seemed relevant, and started blocking in the image. Most of this early work is a matter of getting the lighting straight, perspective lines, composition, and using flat colors to denote areas of light and shadow.

Then, I'm able to move things around, and play with the composition until it gets to a point where I'm happy enough to commit to shading. As of this evening, that's about where I am. I think I like where the image is going, and most everything is in place, but unshaded.

So tomorrow, I'll look at it with fresh eyes, and see whether it needs any tweaking or not. If all goes well, it's time to start shading and detail work. I'll probably need to add a little ruin and destruction to it, too :)

That's all for today. Have a good one, all!


orbitneo's picture

Thanks for the update. Kudos being both the programmer, designer and artist.

I didn't realize that until now!

dcfedor's picture

Thanks! Being a designer/artist/programmer was actually a big part of the reason I decided to go indie. I wanted to try out more roles in a game dev project. So far, I really like it!

Dan Fedor - Founder, Blue Bottle Games