• Soak Test, and Project Planning

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Unfortunately, today was pretty shot through with business admin tasks. Mostly in the form of project planning.

    However, I did run another soak test last night, where I let the game run overnight. When I checked in the morning, all 6 crew members were still alive! And the game appeared to be running pretty smoothly, too. No overheating/frozen rooms or NaN pressures. So that

  • Character Trait Effects, and Project Planning

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Finished up adding stat effects to the character traits today, then continued with some project planning.

    A few of the character traits were done already, but I was able to finish the rest today. These include things like "loyal" or "stubborn" or "liar," and mostly affect the thresholds and preferences each AI has for certain stats. I did get to

  • Social Combat Sneak Peek

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Apart from the spambotpocalypse Discord seemed to suffer, it was fairly low key for me.

    Still more admin work this morning, involving banks, company annual reporting, and email. But once that was done, I was able to finally sync with Michael's work. And lucky you, you get a sneak peek!

    What you see in today's screenshot is an

  • Mouse Changes

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Sorry for the late news today. Had a school function to attend with the family.

    Most of the work today was administrivia anyway. But I did manage to rework the mouse controls to try an experiment with streamlining the user experience.

    Previously, you could open the context menu by right clicking and holding over an item. And right clicking a tile would walk to it. Now

  • Emotional Effects of Discomfort and, You Guessed It...Admin!

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Good news, today. A lot more gamedev progress made!

    But the day didn't squeak by without a bunch more admin work. End of Q2 is here, which means time to do the books, pay state taxes, pay myself, pay federal taxes, then tell the fed that I paid them. Still don't understand that last bit, but whatever.

    I did manage to plow through a bunch of content work today

  • New Floors, and Even MORE Admin

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Some new admin tasks hit my desk this morning, so only a little dev to show off. However, it's at least visual!

    After letting a few users test out the game unguided, one of the more consistent points of feedback is that the ship layout legibility needs work. A number of users had to put too much effort into understanding what is what, visually. And in particular with the

  • Better Tooltips, and More Emails

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Another mixed bag today, as I juggled both admin tasks and some development.

    The main thrust of today's dev work was finishing my clean-up of tooltips. I didn't expect to have a lot of time to deep dive into the NaN pressure/temp bug during fast forwarding, so I tackled the smaller task of tooltip legibility.

    Previously, the tooltip was littered with debug

  • Chained Conditions Fix, NaN Atmospherics

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. We had a good time junk shopping, eating, and visiting the aquarium for father's day. And it was a nice break from the computer!

    Back at the office, I had quite a bit of catch-up to do on business-y things. Quite a few emails had come in over the weekend, and I'm nearly done with those now.

    After a bunch, I resumed tracking

  • Catastrophic Radiation, and Ailments Redux

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Wrapped-up the rad sickness ailments today, and continued with adding ailments and debuffs to the remaining conditions.

    Getting the symptoms added to rad sickness wasn't too hard. But one of the trickier things was getting the mortality to behave. Most rad sicknesses still take at least a day or so to kill a healthy patient, but my tests on new characters were killing

  • Acute Radiation Syndrome

    dcfedor's picture

    Hey Folks! Most of today was spent researching, designing, and implementing the effects of radiation exposure.

    After some brief work getting the pain thresholds modeled, it was time to setup radiation exposure. And apart from some minor effects in NEO Scavenger, this was mostly new territory.

    So far, there are 5 levels of exposure for crew: normal, elevated, dangerous, life-