• We're Getting There...

    Hey Folks! Making progress on restoring mods today.

    When I started this morning, the game would crash upon trying to load Kaaven's "Mod of Doom." Usually as a result of trying to load a null, blank, or invalid ID from the mod system. I think a bug was introduced in the remapping code when it was converted from Flash to Haxe, which basically caused all IDs to remap to

  • Mod Parsing Speed Bump

    Hey Folks! Made a small amount of progress restoring mod support when I hit a pretty major speed bump: images.

    Early on, I did some minor rewriting of the file structure to make modding work closer to the original Flash engine. OpenFL does some weird things with files when you try to load them through its asset manager. And one of these weird things is the inability to have two of the

  • Stuff's Gettin' Better Everyday

    Hey Folks! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. I'd say it was a pretty good one here. Nice weather. Nice dinners. A trip to the zoo. And a night where we were able to socialize with grown-ups. Yay!

    Back in dev land, I found myself thinking of the today's title, a quote from the Postman, when prepping today's devlog. NEO Scavenger desktop version is getting better

  • Progress!

    Hey Folks! After nearly 2 days of banging my head against this map rendering issue, it appears to be fixed!

    I think I basically had to try everything before I was able to get a hold of this bug. Rewriting image loaders, walking the code, debug output, wildly trying different inputs and outputs. Eventually, disabling huge swaths of the map renderer pointed me in the right direction.

  • Space Prototype Ruminations

    Hey Folks! Not much work done today, as it was spent more on administrative type tasks. However, one of the larger ones involved the overall vision of the space prototype.

    Early on, I spent a bit more time looking into the NEO Scavenger map rendering bug. But since I was sort of stuck, I switched to another task. It's an email that's been sitting in my inbox a few days, and it

  • Tile Rendering Still Broken, but Debugging Now Possible

    Happy Fourth of July, Folks! It's officially mock warzone here in the States, with explosions both near and far. I wonder how many actual gun battles are happening right now because nobody would notice?

    Since we have a vacation coming up, I decided to work through this holiday and see if I could make headway on the hex rendering issue. Short version: I did not.

    As you can

  • Image Caching Hell, but Progress

    Hey Folks! Been a bit of a rough day, as I wrestle with Asset caching in the engine in order to load assets.

    Pretty much most of the day was spent trying and failing to get the game loading bitmaps into mod containers. In the PC version, the engine loads each mod into a separate data container, so when the game requests an asset by ID, it first checks which mod to get it from, then

  • And Now for Something Completely Different...

    Hey Folks! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Ours was a little bittersweet as we watched Canada Day festivities on CBC live from afar. We miss our other home at times like these. I also suited up for vacuuming the 100+ year old crawlspace beneath our house. Darkness, cramped and hard to reach spaces, awkward equipment, and limited breathing. I imagine submarine mechanic work is worse, but

  • Completing a Plot, and ATC Chatter

    Hey Folks! Work continues on completing our first test plot. And Michael's air traffic control (ATC) script is ready!

    When we left off yesterday, we could reach our quarry in the bartender snitch plot. But we weren't able to do anything once we got there. So today was mostly about adding the means to wrap-up that plot by telling a law enforcement officer (LEO) on the same

  • Tracking Our Quarry

    Hey Folks! Another round of bug fixes and stability improvements today, followed by a near successful plot run!

    Fixes include a bug that prevented orbits and bodies from rendering at first until the plotter changed zoom, beds having an inaccessible use point when against walls, docking to ships without their positions locking together, and the plotter trying to fly to a target's