Hey Folks! Just a quick update to let you know I'll be taking a break from development until October 2nd. I'll still be checking emails and doing my best to stay on top of stuff, but basically taking a break for two weeks to hang with the family.
See you all soon. And until then, have a good one!
Hey Folks! A lot of activity today, though not a lot to show for it just yet. I spent a good half day or more working on stat reveals, while Chris and Bjørn talked next steps.
Also, big news on the publisher front: we signed!
Even though we announced our partnership a while back, we were still finalizing contract stuff over the past few. But we officially signed the paperwork this morning, and we can now move on to great things together.
Hey Folks! More work refining the social combat UI today. I got the foundations of a hidden condition system setup, and made a series of other tweaks to improve the UI as I worked.
The big change here was to upgrade the conditions on characters so that they are hidden/revealed a bit more like NEO Scavenger. Each condition now has params to define how it should display by default, depending on whether the observer is the self or another.
Hey Folks! More work on the social combat UI today. This time, getting it to respond to user input and start closing the loop.
As you can see in today's screenshot, it's now listing all available interactions in the lower left, and selecting one updates the preview area. Right now, I've got it setup like a radio button. Choosing one deselects all others, so we only click one at a time.
In NEO Scavenger, it was setup such that you could add zero or more items before confirming. And sometimes, choosing more than one input changed the outcome.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. We had a ton of rain here, which happens less than you'd think in Seattle during the summer. And rarer still, we even got quite a light show! We miss thunderstorms.
Back at work, I mostly shirked my admin duties today to focus on dev work. And I'm happy to report that I got a lot done!
Hey Folks! Didn't get a ton of time to produce anything today. Mostly admin work, feedback for folks, and testing a few things.
I did, however, get started on my next task: social combat UI.
Michael already prototyped this system a while back, and it's possible to social combat any NPC in the game once you hire them to your crew. And within it, you can interact with them, get their responses, and do a couple example exchanges.
I ended up figuring out where the tile's ship info was getting mixed-up, and now AI can haul loot from a derelict back to their own ship. It turns out the way I was looking for destinations to drop the loot was using the wrong ship as a search basis, and I had to attach some ship ID info to each zone so it could look in the right place.
In the process, I also found and fixed a number of other related and/or smaller bugs.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Yesterday was Labor Day here in the US, so it was a long weekend. Friends, nice weather, good food...a nice mini vacation!
Back at the office, it was mostly catch-up today. Emails, contracts, planning, phone calls...I had just enough time in-engine today to snap the screenshot you see above. And to verify that the thing I need to resume working on tomorrow is mismatched tile IDs and zones after docking.
Despite the lack of work, other exciting stuff is still happening!