Hi Folks! Made a few useful changes and fixes today, as well as started a look into an improved nav station.
One of the first tasks on my list was to fix item placement when doing manual installation. There was a bug in the layout code that allowed me to place walls and floors anywhere I wanted when on a docked ship, even on top of existing walls and floors. It turns out this was a really simple fix, and I just had to update my ancient item-fitting code to use a more recent "get tile below this point" feature, which accounted for docked ships.
Hey Folks! A pretty productive day today. Including a playtesting session!
First order of business was to get my rendering fix branch merged with Michael's build queue branch. The merge was pretty smooth, and I was able to fire it up without any issues.
Once in the chargen station, I started using the F hotkey to designate walls for removal. Lo and behold, the AI took the hint and did so! I could even spawn the OKLG station with 6 crew walking around, and multiple crew would go to the bank of walls, each working away at a wall removal task. Cool!
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. We did a fair amount of outdoor stuff here, on account of the nicer weather. It was nice to start enjoying the yard again, and I can't wait for sunshine and warmth to become the norm for a while.
Hey Folks! Unfortunately, the fat stacks we are dropping today are not fat stacks of cash, but rather Trenchers-brand Kung Pao Chicken.
The next task on my list was to fix whatever was wrong with dropping items from crew inventory. And thankfully, that wasn't too hard. It turns out the food was looking for nearby other food items to stack on, and decided to stack on other food in the crew's inventory. Since we were trying to drop this food on the floor, that was obviously an error.
Hey Folks! Getting ready to upload a new video, as well as send out a newsletter to recap the work since launch. There's been a flurry of work in the past month, and it can sometimes help to see it all in once place. I had hoped to be ready with it today, but it's taking a bit longer to cut. Hopefully tomorrow!
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Lots of yard work for us, as the warmer weather blows in.
Back the office, the reactor is mostly doing what it should now. Able to switch off, battery mode, ignition mode, and charge mode. I has some minor glitches in the UI when switching modes, but overall, does what it should. I'd like to shore that up a bit more, but I might be able to live with it as-is.
Hey Folks! Quite a bit to show off today, as both the reactor and context menu made significant strides.
On the reactor task, I've not got it correctly switching between "off" and "battery" modes. When the reactor is off, batteries on the input side are segregated from the reactor's output, which means the whole ship can be shut down through the reactor. And if you want to bypass that behavior, just run a conduit around the reactor in parallel!
Hey Folks! Progress was a bit limited today, due to a parent-teacher conference this morning, and some tax paperwork in the afternoon. However, I did manage to get a little bit of quality time with the reactor and battery system.
I'm trying to get the reactor to route power from batteries when its power bus is set to anything except "off." Sort of like a giant switch that can connect upstream batteries with downstream ship systems.
Hey Folks! Had a bit more time to do some coding today, and also caught-up with Michael on the current to-do list.
There were a couple of rendering issues that had accumulated, and they were pretty easy fixes, so I warmed-up on those. Mainly changing z-level values on certain objects to be more consistent with the rest of the items in the game. And while I was in there, I removed the now redundant sprite layer property, which only now serves to confuse newcomers to the project :)
Hey Folks! Sorry for the lapse in news yesterday. It was my turn for the family gastroenteritis, which pretty much left me bed-ridden for the entire day. Stomach's still feeling a bit delicate today, but miles ahead of yesterday, thankfully! Must've accidentally eaten some raw squirrel meat...
Anyway, super catch-up today as I had to cover everything since Friday.
Hey Folks! Bit of a weird day today. Pretty much 100% of today's tasks were running the game studio. And I didn't mind it as much as I expected.
First order of business today was a conversation with a potential publisher. I wasn't originally planning on going that route, but I'm starting to get some invitations to talk, and it's got me thinking. Whatever happens, I don't want it to change what Blue Bottle Games is, or the games I make. And so far, neither does anyone who approached me.
Michael's got the wall uninstall/reinstall feature working, so it's now possible to tear down a wall and put it up elsewhere. He's going to do the same for floor tiles next. And once done, that's a good chunk of the way towards getting a derelict fixed-up, as it'll allow players to seal-off areas of the ship that have holes in the walls/floor.
Or, in the case of today's shot, seal off annoying crewmates!
Hey Folks! Spent most of the day looking into mode switching on items, as the current problem of switching items on and off involves that system.
Up until now, I've been handling an object's mode switch by making a new object for the new mode, removing the old item from the ship, and adding the new one in its place. For the most part, this just works. Air pumps, alarms, and doors all use this regularly without issue.
However, while working on the reactor, I noticed a couple of problems.