Hey Folks! Some exciting news today. As you probably already noticed, I have some new art to share!
Recently, I asked Emily Siu to help me visualize some possibilities for the space prototype's art style. As much as I love tinkering with pixel art, I'm spread pretty thin already. And even when I have time, I'll be the first to admit I'm just amateur hour compared to folks like her :)
Hi Folks! Bit of a broken day today due to interruptions, but I still managed to finish work on the AI/airlock problem. And started work on a new ledger system.
The AI now uses interaction ranges (where applicable), so they can interact with an object at a specified range from the use point. And for doors, this is a 1-tile range. As a result, I was able to let Nicholson (above) wander, and he could navigate a double airlock, and later, a room door to reach his goal.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was mostly good, though it involved a trip to the hospital (visiting family). Everyone is okay, thankfully, but ongoing symptom weirdness have us all a bit confused, if not concerned.
I guess on the plus side, I got to see the inside of the ER, which was excellent inspiration for designing a spaceship medbay :)
Hey Folks! More work on the plotter today. And unfortunately, also some website battles.
The website was hit by another "storm" this morning, consisting of a barrage of bot visits looking for (since deleted) spam posts, as well as attempts to create spam accounts for posting new spam. Only a handful of spam accounts got around to posting before I caught it, and nuked them. Still, that was close to a few dozen spam posts within a few hours, and most of a morning lost managing defenses.
Hey Folks! The plotter refactor took a turn for the better today, as I was able to get it running with a limited performance hit.
During the refactor, my mind went to some dark places, let me tell you. Started to have some serious doubts about it, to the point where I almost (key word, almost) felt nauseous. I think it was the idea I had so much up in the air that needed to be nailed down again, and there was no guarantee it would all work again when I did. Coupled with the fact that it wouldn't be easy to undo what I had started without losing some useful work.
Hey Folks! Deep in the code today, trying to refactor the plotter. After yesterday's gains in performance, I thought it would be prudent to do an early test of the full Solar System to see if it had an effect in performance. And I was a bit crestfallen to discover it still has some performance issues.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was unfortunately saddled with a sick toddler, which meant bunkering down, and doing our best to keep her discomfort down. That, and some exciting housecleaning! We have grandparents incoming in t-minus 48 hours :)
Back at the office, I resumed work on my list of creature comforts from last week. And one of the big things there was glitchy/jumpy stations and planets when zoomed way in.
Hey Folks! Sorry about the website shenanigans last night and this morning. Our favorite spammer was back, and I had to do a bit more fine-tuning to keep back the flood of auto-generated accounts/posts. Which unfortunately reduced productivity today, but oh well. "Them's the breaks," as they say.
I did manage to get a few items from yesterday's list done, however.
Hey Folks! I apologize for the down time this morning. The website was under a pretty heavy load from spambots, and I had to call in the cavalry to help break the attack. I think things are getting back under control now. It just unfortunately cratered the morning's productivity.
Back in gamedev land, I decided to take a test ship for a spin from Tharsis Landing (MTRS) on Mars surface to Hangzhou Station (MHNG) in orbit. Short trip, so it was a good test for checking the whole station-to-station loop without waiting ages or artificially accelerating time.
Hey Folks! Finally got a chance to dive into some code today. And as you can see from the image above, I did a bit of main menu prototyping.
First, however, I had to fix-up the remaining compiler errors. And that meant figuring out where I left off before vacation. Fortunately, I kept pretty good notes, so it wasn't too bad to reorient myself. My main goal before break was to get save/load working, and it was almost there. I was basically trawling through the compiler error log to tie-up loose ends in the code.
Happy 2018, Folks! After two weeks of (mostly) trying to stay away from work, I think I'm pretty well recharged and ready to get back to business.
Unfortunately, those two weeks of absence meant a lot of email and admin tasks piled up. So that's where today started. Getting various federal tax forms collected and sent, paying business license taxes, catching up on emails and forum posts...such is the exciting life of running a business.