Hey Folks! Short news today, as I have to head out to meet the fam. Mostly tax and accounting stuff today, anyway. I did manage to get more done on saving/loading, but there's still a bit to go. Basically, almost to the point where it'll compile, then the real fun begins :)
More importantly, the holidays are here! I'll be home over the next 1-2 weeks, but not working, so I might be slow to reply to any emails, etc. I'll be busy smashing chocolate into my face and usual traditions.
Hey Folks! Got the save system working today, and have written out my first few save files successfully. They're doozies, too. 700kB of text data just for that cramped ship layout you see above with two crew members. Lots of stuff to save, I guess. Star system info, every object in the game, the ships, waypoints, message logs...the works. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out with larger/longer games.
Hey Folks! Sorry in advance for the less exciting post today. I actually did quite a bit of coding, even going as far as closing email and other non-essential apps to focus. But it's not anything to look at, really, unless you like data.
Hey Folks! More clean-up and prep today, plus a bit of investigation into what will probably be the next big task: saving game state.
After yesterday's performance housekeeping, the game was a bit more usable with large ships loaded. And one of the finishing touches to that change was to fix the camera panning to be independent of frame rate. A large part of what alerted me to the low framerate was the hitching camera panning. Now, the camera feels much smoother regardless (which will be a big deal in scenes where cpu/gpu usage spikes).
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Fairly low-key, here. What spare time I had I squeezed in some Stellaris, where I finally managed to have a competent empire. My usual "nice guy" empires always failed/were defeated, so this one's pretty cutthroat :)
Hey Folks! I've gotta say, this refueling thing sort of side swiped me. I was sort of picturing it as being a really simple, almost throwaway piece of code to bridge the gap until I came back to it later. But it turns out to have quite a few tricky (or at least non-trivial) parts to it.
With the UI mockup done yesterday, I started writing code to handle all of the dynamic data. So far, so good. There's a lot of data in here, but that's not really too challenging.
Hey Folks! I think I've narrowed down the short term goal list to two things: refueling the ship at a station, and some sort of encounter system. And since the former is probably quicker to do, it's spreadsheet time!
What you see above is an in-game UI I mocked-up in Unity to cover the ship refueling and restocking operations at a station. Similar to the air traffic control UI I made earlier, a lot of this is just for show. But it does illustrate some of the stuff I want to model in the game.
Hey Folks! Sort of a mixed bag today, as I tackled a few tasks of different colors.
First order of business was chatting with Fernando Rizo, who's been helping me prepare to announce this space prototype more officially. Originally, we were talking about trying to get on some publications' radars for 2018 lists, but since this is likely going to be the first official announcement of the space prototype (including a name!), we're talking a more general, long-term strategy.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I apologize for the lack of a post on Friday. Our fridge bit the big one Thursday night/Friday morning, and we were scrambling to get the house back in order. Fortunately, we have temperature controlled food again, and no longer have to store our perishables in the cold wilderness like savages.
A lot of today was spent catching-up on emails that had collected during my absence. Though I did finish up a bit of UI work I started late last week. Namely, making the AI GUI a bit clearer.
Hey Folks! More experimenting today, as I messed around with ideas for showing what's going on with AI on the ship.
In today's screenshot, there's a new UI feature to show the currently selected AI. It only shows up when AI is selected (and not, for example, a door). The rough idea is to give a bit more situational info about what this AI is currently experiencing. It's pretty self-explanatory, but I'll go clockwise from the top left.
Hey Folks! We're definitely making headway on the crew portraits.
As you can see from today's image, I finally figured out how to texture swap. After a couple of hours of failing to do things the "right" way, I just hacked some code to do it my way. (Basically, exposed a texture property that would otherwise be private on each SpriteMeshInstance.) And it worked!
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. It was a pretty normal family deal for us, which was nice in some ways. And thanks to the recent Steam sale, I've been logging hours in Stellaris. Enjoying it so far! (Though my first empire crumbled upon the first war.)
Getting back to animated faces, I think we're making good progress. When I left off on Friday, I was a bit discouraged by a really rough-looking Akiko face. The new rig I setup to fix things actually looked a bit uglier.
Hey Folks! More work on faces today. Yesterday's test was a fairly good proof-of-concept, but still had a long way to go before it could be used in production. Adding a second face (the "Akiko" one in today's screenshot) to the mix showed a lot of deep flaws in the animation. Yesterday's face (let's call him "Jones") had some significant shape differences that weren't compatible with Akiko.