Like an unkillable monster wearing a hockey mask, iOS is back at my doorstep. This time, due to a retina rendering issu- wait a minute. Is this a repeat?
Yes. Yes it is.
Looks like we still have some rendering discrepancies on certain iOS devices. And once again, it's due to retina wonking-out the device's reported resolution. Haxe just doesn't know what the heck is going on with these devices, that report having two different resolutions simultaneously.
And though we thought we had fixed it before, it appears it just moved the problem around.
Hey Folks! Bit of a split day today, as I worked on both mobile bugs and the space prototype.
The morning bug fix session focused on me catching-up on forum bug posts, and then tackling an encounter crash reported in the Isotope Mine. It seems if the encounter uses part of a stack of items, the game crashes with a null pointer.
Hey Folks! I woke up to a bit of disheartening news this morning. Despite mobile's early success on the market, and the welcome reinvigoration of Steam sales, it looks like the party was short lived. Mobile sales took a hit a few days ago and are holding at the new low. And worse, the Steam boost appears to have run its course, as well.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. We visited Discovery Park for the first time, which was beautiful. (And lived up to its name!) And we painted the bedroom ceiling, which made the room look like a scene from a pandemic outbreak movie for a while.
Back at the office, I'm afraid it was all work and no play today. Pretty much spent the day in my inbox and file explorer, plus some banking/tax websites.
Hey Folks! More bug fixing today, as I sort out the various datafile bugs and find yet another crafting crash!
The situation with datafiles, as it turned out, was pretty messed-up. The game was doing a few things incorrectly, resulting in really weird outcomes. One part was that it returned requests for a "random data file" with the same data file over and over. (Namely, the generic template used to make data files.)
Another bug overwrote the template each time a new datafile was loaded, so loading any additional datafile changed all existing ones in-game.
Hey Folks! More mobile fixing today. The focus was on some item bugs that were reported recently, and involved a lot of detective work.
The first issue affects the Giizhik smudge stick, and probably a few other, similar items. (Like dog-be-gone.) Basically, if the item bestowed a condition while contained in any slot, the game would ignore it. This was due to a parsing error in the data handling code that just ignored item data that had no specific slot ID.
Good news, everyone! I think I've found and fixed the random crafting crash bug on mobile! And that might be the only thing of consequence I've done today.
Still, though, this was one of the most oft-reported issues on either platform. "Game crashes constantly," and "crashes after a few turns," and "sometimes crashes, usually during crafting" were some of the only clues I had to go on, until this one Google user:
Hey Folks! A bit less productive today, at least in terms of coding. But still some interesting developments!
First, I finally was able to build and deploy a debug build directly to my Android phone! Technically, I've done this a long time ago, but not since the game was just starting the porting process. Tiago usually handles the builds, and then shares them with me. This was my first time getting the pipeline running on my own machine for local testing, which is good!
Hey Folks! I was fortunately able to do a bunch of coding today, and that means bug fixes!
Initially, things started a bit slow, as the desktop debug version I usually use had a few cobwebs to clear. For one thing, the game wouldn't respond to mouse clicks at all. Buttons would highlight correctly, but no clicks would register (except in rare cases). It turns out this was due to some mobile bug fixes causing issues on desktop, adding the game instance a second time. Easy to fix once we found it, but a bit tricky to find.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good week(ish) while I was away. I hung out with the fam, ate a bunch of things that were unhealthy, and even had some days where I didn't stress out about the mobile launch! But it's back to work now, so stressing can resume :)
First up, though, is digging myself out of inbox debt. Multiple inboxes and messaging systems piled-up while I was away, and I only just neared the surface on most of them this afternoon. I think most everything has settled now. (Including an overdue business license return that slipped through, oops!)