Hey Folks! Been working on the new action buttons for mobile today. Trying to find a way to make the buttons bigger for those tiny screens, in a GUI that has basically no extra space left.
The current thinking is that we'll have a slide-out tray/panel on the side of the screen that the user can open to get at all the buttons. When it's closed, only the most commonly-used buttons are there, as well as running/hiding indicators. Here's a mockup in Small UI mode:
It turned out I had a few more last-minute changes to make to the title screen marquee. Tiago has a new way of loading URLs that seems more reliable than what I was using, so I updated that. And while I was there, I decided to make the default hard-coded messages disappear if the game finds new ones on the web. Never know how often updates will happen, so this lets me overwrite out-of-date messages from afar.
I also decided on what that default message will be. For now, just a simple "Mobile edition released!" yadda yadda one would expect from a new launch.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Pretty quiet here. Mostly family stuff. I've been itching to get back into gaming for a while, but inevitably find myself unable to choose anything. And before long, I'm just reading twitter/reddit. I desperately need a) free time, b) something with which to obsess during that time. Been a while since I was gonzo for a game...
Still plowing through mobile UI changes. I managed to fix the confirm "family" of buttons on both widescreen and 4:3 UI modes. And while I was in there, I decided to fix up a few UI placement things to make it look nicer and be easier to use. I also noticed a few minor bugs that were introduced in the engine port, such as fonts being the wrong size.
Still digging into bugs on mobile today. Been spending most of my time tracking down a weird demo bug which spawned feral dogs and King Elias in the demo, instead of the player.
As it turns out, this was a tiny bug in the code with big implications. A missed closing quote caused all creaturesources (i.e. spawn rules) to be added to the list of creatures (i.e. actual creature stats), so we ended up having our creature list IDs mixed up. Adding that quote into the code seems to have fixed the issue, and I'm checking for any others.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Our family trip was a success, and we also survived the "Stormpocalypse" that was being predicted. So I call that a win! Interestingly, the biggest storm we received over the weekend was a spam forum poster that was pretty prolific across the net, but not hard to remove. Hopefully, they've moved on to greener pastures.
Hey Folks! Been plugging away at the new mobile title screen. I have all the new UI assets made, and just finished the 3 UI mode layouts this afternoon. I think it's looking much nicer, and cleaner.
I still haven't finished the scrolling marquee/message box at the bottom, so that'll be the next step. The pieces are in place, but I need to make it fetch and display the text, and probably load an optional URL for some messages. (E.g. click here for the contest, or try the demo at this link, etc.)
Do you want to win a free Steam copy of NEO Scavenger? Well, you're in luck! Until October 21st, Herblin is hosting a giveaway of 5 Steam keys on his YouTube channel, and it includes a chance for you to leave your mark on the upcoming space prototype!
Check out the video for complete rules and explanation:
Hey Folks! Bit of a slower day today. Most of it was spent on administrative tasks. Unfortunate, as I was hoping to get cracking on some mobile UI improvements :)
Even so, I had a chance to review one of Josh's new tracks for the space prototype, and it's good as usual. Strong ambient piece for use during the main game loop (interplanetary transit). He still has some work he wants to do on it, but I think it's off to a strong start!
Hey folks! Took the day to plug away at mobile stuff today, and Tiago and I are really on a roll.
One of the major improvements Tiago recently added was pinch zoom and panning. And on top of that, a better placement algorithm that makes placing items in inventory spaces more forgiving. It basically tried a bunch of spots around where the user touched and fits the item if it can. Saves a lot of trial and error and guesswork!
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. As mentioned Friday, my folks are in town, so we spent most of our time catching-up with them. And tomorrow, I'll be out of the office to visit with them. Should be back on Wednesday, though.
After taking care of some local tax stuff and other government filings, I set about working on orbital plotting in the space prototype. With the ellipse-plotter UI working, the trick now is to get it showing legitimate orbits for things.