Phew! What a week. After multiple days of driving, flying, crossing time zones, speaking French, and navigating bureaucracy, our cross-country trip is complete. Looks like we may be cleared for moving to the US! Now begins a new laundry list of things that need doing before we can uproot and relocate. Lawyers, accountants, movers, landlords...we're in for some fun now!
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was mostly okay, though I got a weird headache last evening which developed into feeling sick. It seemed to dissipate late in the night, though, and I feel much better today (thankfully!).
Hey Folks! Since it had been a while, I decided to tackle a few NEO Scavenger issues this morning. And in my remaining time, I began the heavy-lifting that is porting old crew/AI-needs code from HaxeFlixel to Unity.
First of all, Kaaven mentioned that it'd be nice to omit certain map labels from the minimap, as they were getting difficult to see when too close together (as in the DMC area). So I looked into that, and it didn't take long to add a new option for making labels only appear on the main map. Basically, the old format was:
Hey Folks! I think I've got the heatmap pathfinding working, for now.
Introducing a "passable" property to each tile avoids the bug I described yesterday when I tried to make walls cost more to traverse. Instead, if the tile is impassable, the heatmap code just ignores it, so they don't pollute nearby tiles with incorrect path values. As a result, I can get a whole map processed with numbers increasing each grid square away from the destination!
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Our last four days were unfortunately largely spent driving, in hotels, or in waiting rooms. One of the benefits of immigration! It's good to be back at home, though, and decompressing.
Despite the tedious roadtrip, I did manage to break out the laptop in the evenings after checking-into each hotel. But first:
Hey Folks! With the ship layout and lighting starting to materialize, I decided to take a step back and do some thinking about how the simulation will interact with it. E.g. crew movement and physical properties.
One of the first questions I had was whether I could make the crew sprites consistent with the ship lighting. This would mean generating/painting normal maps for their sprites. I took my earlier prototype's idle sprite, and pieced together a normal map for it, then created an item using this sprite that I could place around the ship. Here's how it looks:
Hey Folks! Happy New Year! Since the game's been out for over a year, and pretty stable for most of it, I decided to "go dark" for two weeks, hoping to recharge my batteries. Now that I'm back, I think it had the desired effect. I found myself getting more and more inspired each day I was away, and I feel pretty excited about getting back to development!
Of course, I've also got about two weeks' emails and threads to catch up on. But such is dev life :)