Hope your weekend was a good one. I had some fun setting up one of my new toys: new PC speakers and an amp. I've been using the same old Labtec satellites and sub for almost 10 years now, so it was nice to get a new set. Plus, I think the downstairs neighbor will be happy to not have a sub sitting on the floor!
I spent most of this morning providing feedback for Harald on the new encounter. He's had some really excellent ideas so far, and also some challenging questions. (NPC motives, history, etc.) Answering these questions is really helping to solidify the world and mythology, and I think it'll also provide some rewarding conclusions to the story. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
I'm back at work today, and after some catching up on messages, my first task was contract review.
Let me tell you, reviewing contracts is not fun. It's like reading a EULA, sending edits back to the other party, they send an update, and now you have to read that dry, legalese document again for changes.
I decided to make my life easier by firing up my version control software to compare the old and new documents. That helped a bit, though it required some messing around to get line breaks and other unimportant diffs ignored/rectified.
I forgot to mention last week that today is a stat holiday in Canada, so no news to report today.
However, I've been floating around the modding forum here and on Steam, and providing helpful tips where I can. There is some seriously fast-paced progress going on in there! So far, I've seen new clothing variants, skill books, new recipes, and even some chatter about new artwork for things like hexes and weapons.
I've just finished uploading new test beta 0.987b, which now supports modding! It also has a handful of fixes to issues discovered in the last build. I've also promoted the previous 0.986b test build to default build status.
A few more minor fixes made their way in today. There was a GUI glitch with backpacks that I nipped while I had a chance. And I noticed that some creatures were displaying clothes sprites that didn't fit their body, so I setup a special way to hide them on some creatures.
I spent today patching more of the holes we've discovered in 0.986.
To start things off, there were a few conversations that involved questions about the Great Black Swamp, and water droplets would appear inside the swamp icon. It didn't break anything, but it was a bit sloppy and mildly confusing. So I cleaned that up.
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Taxes were a bit of a downer for me, but were actually less annoying than the first day when I started them last month. I think once I got over the missing documents frustration, things went a bit smoother.
I also tinkered with a little game I've been working on once in a blue moon. Not sure if it'll ever see the light of day, as it's more experimental. But if I can get it working well enough, maybe...
It was nose to the writing grindstone today. I still have triaging to do, of course, but since I was away from the computer today, I decided to grab my notebook and hash out the next encounter.
I managed to figure out some high level stuff first, and then had a pretty good burst of progress working on details. I feel like it's starting to take shape, and is actually pretty well defined. I may be able to start coding it quite soon, in fact.
With 0.986b making the rounds, I've decided to take stock of my situation, and see what needs the most attention next. I'm pretty sure more story will feature in the next build, so I'm mostly looking at what else might need work.
For most of the day, I was triaging my bug/feature list. There are some 500 items on it, and so far, there's an average effort of about 3-6 hours of work for each. There are about 60 work days between now and mid July (my target finish date), or 480-600 working hours, depending on whether I work 8 or 10-hour days.
I've just finished uploading new test beta 0.986b, which includes new options and help screens, increased creature spawns, gameplay tweaks, and several fixes and UI enhancements. I've also promoted the previous 0.985b test build to default build status.
Today, I managed to get a new framerate limiter hooked up in the options screen. I also did a bit of rearranging so the options were closer to the middle, where the mouse would be after clicking. This image shows a portion of that screen on the right:
It was back to GUI work today. Focusing on the title screen, options screen, and some 4:3 mode cleanup.
My first task was to add an "Exit" button to the title screen, so users could quit the game without exiting fullscreen. Currently, this button will appear after clicking "Save & Quit," though players can still sneak around it with alt+F4 or ctrl+Q if they are intent on bypassing the save system.