Hey folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. As usual, mine felt too short. I blame taxes, as I started looking into those last night, and I think it shaved a few years off my life.
As I was checking out the forums this morning, I saw an interesting post about a player's troubles with the save game system. They pointed out that the current error message when the save game fails is rather cryptic. Though they could figure it out eventually, it would be nice if the game gave a little more advice if this happened.
Yesterday's Humble Bundle launch seems to be a success so far. As of this post, Humble is reporting over 31,000 units sold. And looking at my Steam stats, there are just under 23,000 new NEO Scavenger key activations since yesterday. That's a lot of new players!
I shifted focus to the main menu UI today. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm thinking of setting up an "Options" button on the main menu, and moving all the graphics and audio options onto that page. I think it'll simplify the main screen, and also gives me a chance to put the "Options" button dead-center, in case something happens causing the game to zoom in too much for the screen. (E.g. a "reset" button to restore 800x450 mode if the player can't see anything).
Hope everyone had a good weekend. I decided to pick up Luftrausers and Sword of the Stars: The Pit this weekend, and I'm enjoying them so far. The former is a good twitch/bullet-hell type for when you want some short-form, reflexive gaming. And the latter is a rewardingly deep roguelike in a sci-fi dungeon setting.
First of all, I apologize for any site issues you've been experiencing in the past 24 hours. There was a temporary outage last night causing 508 errors, and I also had to take the site offline for about 30 minutes this evening.
After some discussion on the forums about body temperature, I decided to make some changes to the way overheating and other temperature changes work. Some really good points and suggestions came from the discussion, and I think they'll help players better understand what's going on in-game.
Hope everyone had a good weekend. My day off was a welcome break, and I felt much more recharged when I returned this morning.
After catching up on some emails and forum posts, I started my day by fixing a scavenging exploit, and emailing Mollom with some more info on the spam filter. So far, they're still gathering info on why the spam filter's going nuts, so I've been providing them with some sample data to analyze. Hopefully, we'll be able to narrow down the cause of the overactive spam identifier.
I spent most of today working on more UI/workflow streamlining, "quality of life" (QOL) features, and triaging my wishlist/buglist.
First of all, I finally finished changing the opening cryo sequence to allow scavenging the facility after exiting. Instead of using eagle eye and medic to search for items during the encounter, they can be used in a scavenge attempt after leaving the facility. Scavenging also gives the cryo window as default loot, allowing the player to re-enter the facility later.
I've been keeping an eye on the forum chatter since yesterday's upload, and so far, the 0.985 update seems to be a pretty good build. There have been a few issues reported, but most seem to be minor. There have been a couple, more serious, bug reports. However, these have been hard to reproduce so far, so I'm still looking for answers/clues.
I'll keep watching things, so see if 0.985 seems stable enough to promote to the new default build.
I think I'm finished with planned changes on 0.985, and moving into the testing phase.
Earlier in the day, I was catching up on some forum posts and bug reports. And then, I resumed testing the new encounter. There were a few glitches in the encounter's various triggers, so it took some rewiring and condition planning to make sure that was working correctly. Namely, I wanted to make sure the various ways to trigger the encounter were triggering at the right times (based on player status and previous actions).
Been another busy day, here in the wooded mountains of Canada. I put some serious time into testing and tweaking today, and I'm pretty excited about the results.
First of all, I decided to look into the recent trend of "farming" DMC guards for their loot. Players specced for combat can often wipe out DMC guards with impunity, and that ain't very realistic. So, I decided to give them a little edge:
Today was the converse of yesterday, with me spending little time on PR and instead focusing a lot on development. The bulk of today's work was on the new faction's main encounter.
First, I worked on the trading post, and other services they provide. There was a little bit of work creating the appropriate conditions and items to trigger these correctly. Also, while working on this, I realized I never fixed the Haggerty Health wound dressing option, so I fixed that, too.
I continued work on the new faction today, and focused on some of the wearable equipment they have. Similar to DMC guards, it helps to visually distinguish someone based on their clothes, even if it's not 100% reliable. Plus, it means some new toys and customization options for players!
Here's what some of them will look like in the field: