Website Upgrade, Creature Offsets, and DMC Map

Hey Folks! Bit of a slow day today, and I'm left feeling a bit bummed at the limited progress.

I was actually able to fix that creature offset bug from last night right after posting the devlog. It turns out I could fix the issue by adjusting the creature positions "a little while after" the resolution change. The annoying thing is, "a little while after" involves setting a timer to launch the fix 0.1s later. I hate doing stuff like this because it can lead to bugs that are really hard to find later on. But since I didn't want to lose another day to such a minor bug, I went with it. So at least that's out of my hair. For now.

The DMC map is also finally working. Took me most of the day to figure out why.

First of all, it appears the moving traffic particles were all sharing the same path info, which caused all but the last in each group to be overwritten. The result was a single moving particle on each path. Making separate FlxPath instances for each particle, and having them only share the path array, allowed each to animate.

However, that revealed a new bug in the path initialization. Every particle was being lumped into the same starting position when the map loaded, resulting in all of the dots piling-up on the same space and slowly spreading out over time.

This turned out to be due to the way I was using the paths, which no longer seems supported by HaxeFlixel. I was basically starting each dot some percentage of the way from a random starting node, but the new HaxeFlixel path code was resetting each to the path beginning node.

Tweaking the HaxeFlixel path not to do this helped, and soon each particle was instead being started at the nearest node instead of the path beginning. One more tweak involved setting the sprite position manually after starting the animation, and that was finally enough to get my particles streaming through the streets like traffic should.

I also spent a few minutes updating the flying car sprite code so some start mid-screen when the map loads, instead of a unified row of them all flying in at once from the screen edge. Pretty easy to change, and the difference makes it a bit more realistic-looking, so I think it was worthwhile.

As of now, the DMC map seems to be drawing correctly, and even changing res without issue. However, I now notice the framerate plummets when it's on-screen. I suspect it's something to do with the 450 draw calls...

In other news, you might have noticed the site offline for a bit today. Or even now, that there's a "secure" lock icon next to the URL. I had the web dev team upgrade the site to use https today, now that everybody's cutting http loose in the browser world.

Almost everything seems to work now, except for two things: ordering the game doesn't automatically unlock access on the site anymore, and the mobile version of NEO Scavenger gets garbled news messages on the title screen.

Both are going to need to be fixed, and hopefully can be without just reverting the site back to http again.

I think this website issue is where the emotional funk came from. Fixing it is slow, tedious, and might involve me pushing new mobile builds just to update the URL in the game code. And I absolutely do not want to do any more mobile builds than I have to. They are really hard to make and test, and it could be weeks of time trying to figure out if anything has broken in the latest code. (That, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple is going to make me upgrade my certs to submit a new build, then update XCode, which requires an OSX update, which for all I know might require a new laptop. Ugh.)

We'll see, though. The good news is that NEO Scavenger++ seems to be really close to functional!

Comments

ra1's picture
ra1

Why can't you just redirect http to https on your website?

dcfedor's picture
dcfedor

That's what it's doing right now. And unfortunately, the cause of the mobile game's bug. (The mobile game tries to load a server text file, but gets html code instead, likely a 404 or redirect.)

The trouble with FastSpring (the payment provider) seems to be that they use a certain list of ciphers for SSL, and CloudFlare uses a different list. They need one in common to work.

I swear IT is like a fractal: infinite complexity the deeper you dig.

Dan Fedor - Founder, Blue Bottle Games

ra1's picture
ra1

I dunno then. Maybe you could turn off redirect for that one file...its not like that file is important enough to encrypt (given you weren't encrypting it before anyways).

dcfedor's picture
dcfedor

Yeah, I'm hoping it's something like that. I think at least some of the redirect is being handled by .htaccess, so that could be doable.

Dan Fedor - Founder, Blue Bottle Games