Skill-Gating Actions, More Chargen Story, and AI Coping
Hey Folks! We're off on a new round of crew management changes, further pursuing the goal of a captain and crew we care about, and tools to keep them in check.
To address this goal, we have a few tasks:
- Make certain actions from the salvage loop require skills/traits. E.g. installing, uninstalling, repairing, operating/using nav stations, etc.
- Make those salvage actions take a much longer time without skills, if they are possible at all.
- Add more story events to the character creation screen that grant these skills and traits.
- Add more ways for AI to overtly not do their job when they're pissed.
- Add more ways to bring AI crew back from the brink of being pissed.
Michael is going to work on some more story events like the one I showed earlier. With emphasis on events that grant skills we can use. (And potentially, certain social currency items that can be used with specific types of crew. E.g. a memory of being an orphan that can be used to connect with AIs that were orphans
I'm going to skill-gate as much as I can on the ship with what we have now, so things run smoother if we have the requisite skills or crew with those skills.
And Chris is going to brainstorm ways for the crew to visibly get in your face when they are not happy.
It's likely going to be a few days of work before we have any visible progress to share. But with luck, this will be the major step we need towards making social loop relevant to the existing salvage loop, for a wider, more engaging game!