The Off World News Group (OWNG) is a wireless network news service owned by Olympus Networks, a division of Harper Xiang. It was created by media couple Buddy Harper and Xiaomei Xiang to be the first off world based news service, and to oppose local affiliates owned by and reporting to Earth based elite media. OWNG is the default news service for over one hundred million devices connected with Inner System wireless networks.
- Industry: News media
- Origin: Mars
- Parent company: Olympus Networks
- Ticker symbol: OWNG
The Off World News Group launched with Olympus Networks’ first rollout of unified wireless network coverage to Tharsis Landing in 2035. The launch was preceded by both the merger of Harper Communications with Shanghai News Limited to create Harper Xiang, and the celebrity wedding of the media moguls in charge. OWNG began with its flagship 24-hour news service ‘Channel One’, and has since begun Channel Two and Channel Three for entertainment and live sports respectively.
OWNG news is given priority transmission status on all Harper Xiang owned networks such as the Aphrodite-series fixed service satellites. Other sources are frequently deprioritized or even halted completely, such as the live coverage of the Meridian riots by rival news service The New Times in favour of Channel One’s interview with Maurice Kapur.
Harper Xiang does not respond to content throttling complaints.
After a short bombardment, the mining bubble Analucia in the Chasma Boreale was terminated and its colonists forcibly exiled by Jiangsu Energy Group, an extraction company with a prior claim to the territory. The exiles were refused access to transport or sufficient cold weather gear, and were left with no choice but to march the thirty-eight kilometres to a nearby research outpost. Despite being intercepted en route, only three of the fifty colonists survived the ordeal.
The coverage of Analucia by Warren Kilbride caused the JEG to lobby for his removal. Shortly thereafter, Kilbride stepped away from OWNG, and his slot was filled by Kate Tian.
Channel One Broadcast Schedule
Times are in MTC (Coordinated Mars Time).
- 06:00 - Mars Sunup: Dawn service for Mars. Prayer services on demand.
- 06:05 - Red Dawn with Anne Marie Yee: Current affairs breakfast programming
- 07:00 - Off World Sports: The (off) world in sports. Highlights, team dramas, profiles on athletes. Hosted by Sri ‘Boxer’ Fritriani
- 08:00 - Morning News Update: Channel One’s premiere news package featuring Trever Bank and Weihan Wing
- 08:25 - News in brief: Today’s headlines, condensed
- 08:30 - Newsroom: The long tail of news, focused on analysis and discussion. Trever and Weihan are joined by celebrity reporters
- 10:00 - Finance with Fairuz Abdullah: The (off) world in finance
- 11:00 - Spotlight: A dedicated profile / interview slot
- 12:00 - Shift change: The lighter sides of the news discussed by a comedian panel
- 13:00 - The Orozco Report: Callum Fost interviews victims on location after natural disasters, acts of God, etc
- 14:00 - Above the Belt: News from the Belt and beyond. Hosted by Mair Ni Laugharne
- 15:00 - This Actually Happened: Viral or candid content curated from OWNG user submissions
- 16:00 - The Worlds Around Us: Natgeo style tech and environmental programming aimed at younger demographics
- 18:00 - Earth Sundown: Dusk service for Earth. Prayer services on demand
- 18:05 - Evening News Update: Channel One’s premiere news package featuring Trever Bank and Weihan Wing
- 18:30 - Newsroom: Comparatively relaxed analysis and discussion. Trever and Weihan are joined by celebrity reporters
- 19:30 - Off World Sports: The evening sports update
- 20:00 - Wilcox: Political anchor Pierce Wilcox’s slot hosting the newsroom
- 21:00 - Redline: Hard-hitting investigative reporting
- 22:00 - Late News: Final general news program of the Mars sol
- 23:00 - The Shipping News: Industry-focused space travel news
- 00:00 - Kate Tian’s War: Guerilla reporting from the System’s conflict zones
- 01:00 - Newsroom: First newsroom of the sol
- 02:00 - Regional affiliate slot: Local language services. Important off world.
- 03:00 - Regional affiliate slot: Local language services. Important off world.
- 04:00 - Newsroom: Tends toward off world news given sleeping Mars viewers
- 05:00 - Off The Grid with Alain Kasongo: Alain unleashes his acerbic personality upon his guests
Trusted and Verified.
The New Home of The News