Ostranauts Patch 0.6.4.0 Is Available
Ostranauts v0.6.4.0 is now available on Steam, and your clients should be updating shortly. This, despite the fact that it's the Friday before vacation, which is usually a terrible idea :)
(And on that note, the previous version, 0.6.3.9, will be on standby as the opt-in "public_test" beta should we need it.)
This patch makes quite a few changes to socializing and the inventory UI, as well as several other fixes and tweaks.
- Changed social status text to show recent trend direction.
- Changed log messages to show recent trend direction, where applicable.
- Changed socializing UI to only show NPC statuses and traits that we revealed through interactions with them.
- Added a Debug button to social UI to toggle showing all NPC traits vs. revealed ones.
- Changed social action previews to show more info.
- Changed social UI action buttons to have optional text describing traits that led to that option.
- Added scrollbar to social actions.
- Added code to swap inventory items on cursor if dropping an item on top of something that cannot stack.
- Added code to quick transfer inventory items with shift click.
- Added code to require fewer clicks to drag inventory items into new spaces.
- Added code to automatically open a container's grid in inventory when first equipped.
- Fixed a bug that caused significant hitching/lagging when doing certain job types like repairs on a large ship.
- Fixed a bug that caused humans' body heating effects to be ignored after awhile.
- Fixed debug teleport so it works on other selected crew.
- Fixed bug that would leave items stranded at root if save file had different stack limits than current build.
- Fixed a bug that could cause game to hang or crash when loading a ship with errors in contained item data.
- Changed fatigue cost of prying and bashing to be higher.
- Changed pricing on drinks to be more differentiated in supply kiosk.
- Changed trash stacking limit to 3 so it spreads out more.
- Fixed bug in Give Up response that required opposite personality types from what they should be.
- Changed Back Away Slowly to have greater intimacy penalty, and smaller privacy reward.
- Added banter about Breakout match as possible reply to banter about Breakout match.
- Fixed bug that caused dark rectangle under chin in dark skin portraits.
- Removed unused price info on installed switches and battery.
- Changed trenchers food to have eat as first context option.
The social system had a pretty significant overhaul this patch. We now start knowing very little about our conversation partner, and have to slowly reveal their status and traits via social moves. We can now also see how our status has recently changed in both the status UI and message log.
Furthermore, the social actions list now shows which traits and abilities unlocked each move, if applicable. And the preview text tells us more complete info on how the move is likely to affect both us and them.
Similarly, the inventory UI had quite a few quality of life features added. These include auto-swapping items if you drop on a different item type, shift-click to quick transfer between containers, and click-and-drag to start dragging, with releasing the mouse dropping or equipping the item.
There are likely gaps in the above UX changes, or tweaks needed, so we'll be looking for feedback on what works and doesn't.
One small fix with potentially big implications: body temperature would previously stop working after a while, so you might see yourself stuck sweating or shivering. Now, this should work with one caveat: it probably won't fix stuck sweating/shivering on old saves. So as you're working away, you'll have to manage both fatigue and heat, on top of breathing, sleep, and nutrition.
A number of bug fixes and optimizations also went into this patch, to hopefully further make running the game smoother.
As always, there's plenty more for us to fix, change, and add! And we'll be continuing in roughly that order. In the meantime, let us know if this patch helps you out, as well as if it reveals new problems!
Founder, Blue Bottle Games, LLC