I Spy...a Slight Mobile Delay
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I think we finally got around to relaxing this weekend. Instead of running around doing errands and heavy-lifting, we hung around the house, visited the beach, and ate yummy food. Nice! (And I also rekindled my interest in Factorio, which is good, too!)
Back at the office, Tiago has resumed work on the last(!) pre-launch mobile bug: achievement re-triggering. We also did a quick triage of remaining issues, found three of them to be already fixed, and the remaining 17 were small enough to launch with (or more administrative, like uploading the new trailer).
Since I had a few spare moments, I decided to do some quick patching here and there. Starting with the "spy" UI. And that's where things went downhill.
It turns out, "spy" didn't really work as designed. It seemed to always target a hex, regardless of whether the user clicked on a creature. And my idea of making spy a little easier to use on touchscreen (by making it a context item on creatures) didn't work for this reason.
Looking into the code, it wasn't a simple fix, either. Touchscreen support has added a lot of complexity there, and code seems to be split across several places. And at least in this case, the hex seems to capture the spy command before the creature, even if the creature was "there first," so to speak.
I'm not sure I'll still like this idea tomorrow, but I've decided to try refactoring that input code. Ideally, it'll be simpler and easier to modify. Realistically, it could introduce new bugs. And if it goes too far that way, I might just roll-back the refactor and live with hex-only spying until a post-launch patch.
Kinda hoping this isn't Pandora's Box :)