Gas Dynamics Optimizations, Concept Art Done
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was pretty busy, though not terribly exciting. Usual family/house stuff.
Back at work, I had a bunch of admin stuff to take care of, then I was off to fix the gas dynamics performance. Last week, I noticed a big chunk of the framerate drop in complex scenes was due to gas dynamics. Specifically, the gas exchanges between rooms were being wasteful with redundant calculations and memory allocations.
So I overhauled the code today to only do those calculations as-needed, as well as to reduce the sampling rate from per-frame to 2 per second. The full derelict docked to the chargen station now runs at 60fps, where it previously ran between 20-40. In fact, the only slowdown I'm noticing now is pathfinding on such large maps, and that's only while walking, and it drops framerate about 30%.
In fact, I created a release build of the game just to see, and noticed no slowdowns at all!
I did, however, introduce a few edge cases that caused bugs. I think I've fixed all but one, which is causing periodic pressure sensor failures, and gas pumps to run more often than needed. I think this is due to my clearing of the partial pressure data whenever gases change. I probably need to modify values instead of relying on recalculating them completely, so there's no gap in accuracy between gas changes and partial pressure stats.
Anyway, that's a big step towards more stable play in salvage situations, and it should be possible now to focus on gamefeel again instead of trying to ignore stuttering.
In other news, Ashley's latest concept art is approved, and I can't wait to show you! I'm thinking my next newsletter/update announcement will feature one of her pieces. Just as soon as I figure out what other stuff to include :)
Looking forward to getting back into things tomorrow. There's a bunch of stuff Michael's been up to involving jobs and objectives, so merging our progress so far might be a big improvement!