Feedback, bugs, questions
Assorted thoughts after several hours of play:
The process of hunting down a derelict ship that you like the look of and then scavenging other derelicts for the parts to return it to working order is an awful lot of fun. I don't know how much of the game you ultimately want the initial scavenging run to comprise (NEO Scavenger in space actually sounds pretty amazing to me right now, but I don't think that was exactly your end goal), but since this is what we've got at the moment, here's my thoughts on ways in which it could be expanded:
- I'd like a much larger array of bits and pieces to find in a derelict - crew effects, crew logs, more and better tools, various furniture items for my ship, etc. Anything to make me excited to break open the next derelict.
- I'd love to have possible encounters in derelicts, including nasty ones - scavenging an unpowered derelict is beautifully atmospheric, and it would be a real shame not to capitalise on that. I'm really interested in potential combat encounters.
You've done a good job with the atmosphere (in the setting sense, I mean, not the gas sense). The work you've put into the modelling for oxygen, pressure etc. was worthwhile in this regard. I would say it could still be more unforgiving, but the potential to keep players in a state of tension every time they try to dock their ship, every time they walk into a derelict ship and whenever the resources they need just to keep their vessel operational and their captain and crew alive run short is there. I think the graphics and audio are great, too, though I've experienced some popping with the audio at high volume levels.
Some bugs, some things that I'm not sure are bugs, and some things that may be simply caused by my not knowing how to play the game properly:
- I just had a character die from hypoxia randomly when they should have been fine. They had plenty of oxygen and not much CO2 in their EVA, they were uninstalling a nitrogen tank from a derelict, and then very suddenly they got a barrage of random reports which added and removed a few traits - "x feels like they are too greedy, x can only tolerate tepid foods", they got the "hunger - bursting" status effect (I'm still not sure what this means?); a moment later they keeled over dead.
- Derelicts seem to sometimes drift off out of orbit on their own? When trying to get back to one that I was working on, I discovered that it had disengaged from its orbit of Ganymed and seemed to be on a heading to another planet or something. Am unsure about this.
- Sometimes when picking up an object, its graphic stays on the ground. I guess this is a graphical glitch as restarting the game fixes it.
- Sometimes when picking up an object that is too large for the inventory, its graphic stays on the ground, but the game no longer registers its existence, and it just seems to get deleted entirely.
- It seems like the proximity alarm should stop when a vessel is docked. Sometimes it seems to, sometimes it doesn't. Can't tell if this is bugged.
- At the moment it seems like you can rotate an object you're installing, but not loose items, unless I just don't understand how.
- Any vessel larger than a tin can seems to use up a lot of N2 very quickly when employing RCS thrusters. I assume this is working as intended, but is there an easy way to refuel, and/or can we get bigger N2 tanks?
- Could we have a toggle similar to the power distribution display for leaks in the hull?
- Do the police interceptors do anything right now? I've had a few alerts saying that I've been spotted by the system authorities but that they've decided to ignore me or similar.
- Is it currently possible to get from Ganymed/OKLG to another station in the system? I tried plotting a course for Earth, but can't figure out a way to get the game to accelerate beyond 16x (which would still take an immense amount of real time), and it seems like every time I close the nav computer it forgets where I wanted to go and plots a new course to some other fixed point in the system.