Drowning in Data
Hey Folks! Continuing with filling-in of missing data in the Ostranauts needs and thresholds system. And since there isn't much to look at yet, I figured a peek into the data notes might be interesting.
On the left we have a snippet of the threshold data, which is denoting condition payloads to apply at various thresholds for each stat. In the middle, we have some relevant status conditions from NEO Scavenger, and how they map to existing stats in Ostranauts. And on the right, the spreadsheet I'm using to keep track of physiological stats for use in Ostranauts.
So far, I've got yesterday's new stats into a spreadsheet with their expected thresholds mapped-out. I've since tweaked a few names to be clearer, and added one called "StatWeird." StatWeird is going to be used to track exposure to supernatural events, and will likely have an effect on the AI's level of paranoia and how often they perceive strange events. Sort of like radiation exposure, except for the weird stuff we see in NEO Scavenger. I'm looking forward to exploring this a bit more.
Anyway, I was able to transcribe the threshold spreadsheet into the game data. And I'm now in the part where I add conditions to represent each threshold state. I'll need a loot data object for each, too. And once that's done, I think it'll be time to start transcribing a lot of the NS conditions like "severe abdominal pain" and "headache" so they can be used as symptoms of these states.
I might also have to setup the health/pain/medical stuff, too, so these effects have something to play off of.
It's a lot of data, and a lot of data entry, research, and mental modeling. 100% game design, I guess you could say. And it's a bit of a slog. But I'm looking forward to seeing the increased diversity in AI states once it's done!