Build Jobs Menu
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. The city was throwing a kids party in the park, so that was a big chunk of the day. And chatting with my folks back home is always nice.
Back at work, I managed to get a decent amount of coding done. And even a bit of art!
I'm still in the process of fleshing-out the jobs painting menu that Michael setup for bulk-commands. I've nearly got the item installation stuff converted to a categorized menu now, which you can see in the screenshot. It's a bit of Oxygen Not Included and Rimworld build menus combined, and should make it easier to find the item you're looking for.
And in case you were missing my crappy NEO Scavenger UI art, you can see some new placeholder icons for each item type :)
I think the menu is generally behaving now, and I can even click an item and use the item placement grid system when positioning it. It'll generate a placeholder and add it to the ship.
However, that's where it ends, as nobody will do anything about the ghost object after that. The next step, is to make the placeholder generate a task for crew to finish. This might end up being really easy or really hard, depending on how flexible the install stuff is.
It's been a while since I've looked at it, but I think it was designed around the assumption that a specific crew was already selected to do the install. And I'm unsure whether it'll run smoothly if I add that worker later in the process.
Once that's in, I'll also need to overcome the install process's assumption that we're only doing one at a time. We'll want to paint a row of walls or floors, which means the code needs to re-up the cursor each placement.
Finally, I'll need to ensure that the old-style install process isn't broken by this. We still need to right-click on an uninstalled object and be able to install it someplace. Though, it probably still makes sense for that to go into the task system instead of assuming the current selected crew will do it.
In short, I have a few more steps to go before it's ready. And once ready, I still need to use it a while to get a sense for if it works well. But we're getting there!