Experience so far
So far I'm enjoying the game (bugs and all) trying to figure out the systems. I don't have a USB mouse at the moment so I'm using the touchpad on my laptop which makes things extra challenging. So far the difficulties that I've encountered are as such:
- Hired a crew at the station. I can't tell if there is anyway to actually directly control them other than the few actions available in the hotbar on the left. My crewmate tries to just murder me after a certain amount of time regardless of what we are doing. The first time this happened we were still docked at the station and i ordered my crewmate to uninstall the battery while I looked on the nav screen to figure out where I wanted to go next. He simply stopped the job order and murdered me. I was able to recreate this multiple times by just passing time. Could not figure out how to attack him or manage to kick him out of my crew so I just quickly locked him out and undocked. Also, tried the "direct command" social option and it soft locked me.
- There should be an option to choose where an item is dropped on the ground and what orientation. So far I haven't figured out a way of clearing my inventory in a manageable way without "installing" certain items.
- Chased down an NPC ship, docked with it and entered. No NPCs were found (don't know if they just haven't been implemented yet or not), Seeing as how the ship was more robust than the starter bucket I undocked and continued to play. However, it locked out my rotational thrusters after a certain point making it impossible to dock with derelicts or even navigate in an efficient way.
- More character info should be displayed. For example having a character screen that shows encumbrance, detailed hunger and thirst meters, sleep and etc.
- Alarms should be more clear. I hear a klaxon but don't know what for. Once I realized I could hover over the flashing lights and it would say "pressure leak" it made sense but then I had no way of addressing the issue because the leak was in an area of the scav ship that I could not figure out how to access.
- More QOL features would be appreciated. For example hotkeys to select the different options on the docking screen. It can become tedious to click the small buttons while barreling towards a derelict.
Things that I am really enjoying so far:
- The fact that the space simulation uses the character ship as the static object is awesome. When I misclicked a target and had my marker disappear into space is how i realized this. This gave me an understanding of just how many calculations are going on and the reasoning behind the super simplified UI.
- Its such a joy getting to learn how certain systems are working even in this early stage. My first time encountering the reactor minigame was super fun and can't wait to be able to progress far enough to be able to play with all the sliders and dials.
- The amount of different character traits you can choose from is insane. They don't seem to influence the game (at least the early game cause I keep dying) but their interactions is something I'm looking forward to.
- The things you've included in the game to hint at just how many new systems, mechanics, and roles you have in the works.
- Wearing a helmet affects how the game looks and sounds. Its a small detail sure, but I love that attention to detail.
If I have more commentary I'll post again.
Thank you and I look forward to seeing just how far you can take this game.