iOS Compiling, Provision/Cert Hell, and Bug Fixing
Hey Folks! Rough day today. I spent the better part of it wrestling with Apple's app-signing process, and only managed to get it working early in the afternoon.
Tiago's instructions were actually clear and pretty easy to follow. It was some of the XCode setup that was harder to figure out. (Largely because it requires setup unique to each user and environment.) A big part was learning to navigate the endless sea of XCode menus and options for build config, and I also needed to spend a few hours flailing around in my certificates and provisioning profiles.
Eventually, I figured out which were the correct ones (no thanks to ambiguous error messages), and got the iOS app to compile and launch on my iPad 3. And I think the good news here is that this is probably the hard part. Taking the next step to uploading an app should only be a few changes to the build settings and an upload process. (And some web form submitting. And some waiting.)
Ugh. I hate app development. (The store/infrastructure part, that is.)
I also noticed a few more bugs while poking around, one of which seems to be line breaks not working on the demo in iOS. Full version seems fine, as do both demo and full on PC. But for whatever reason, paragraph breaks in demo encounters are being ignored.
I only started looking into this, and will have to resume tomorrow.
I did, however, figure out how to hook-up the end-of-demo encounter to an IAP to unlock the full version. It just piggy-backs on the Full Version button from the main menu that Tiago built. So that's good! (And much clearer than sending the player to bluebottlegames.com's website where they can't really buy any IAP anyway.)
So overall, a grueling day that started rough, but thankfully ended on a high note. Progress continues!