More Talk, Less Do
Hey Folks! Things were a bit slower today. Tiago and I tested the latest build, noted a few persistent user experience issues with precision placement, and reassessed how to tackle that. We also chatted achievements, and a few other things.
In terms of actual change, the only thing I checked-in today was code to fix item position when one stack is added to another and an overflow happens. On mobile, there's no current cursor position since the user's finger hovers over the screen. So I added some code to move the resulting overflow stack to near the last drop point, where it was more visible. Otherwise, it would sometimes appear in the top left corner of the screen, and be missed.
I also tried mucking a bit with stack count fonts, but I think my attempts failed to improve anything. The legibility is pretty bad at some resolutions, and we may need an alternative font or representation there.
One bit of good news, however, is that after testing the latest build on both iPad and Android phone, no new bugs were found. It was mostly new info on old bugs, and that's hopefully a sign the game is approaching the end!
And that, in itself, is scary. The idea of launching on mobile feels so foreign, and I don't want to screw it up. I guess the worst case scenario is that it sells poorly, and I've basically paid money to upgrade the engine from Flash. It now runs on iOS and Android, and NEO Scavenger 2 is basically ready to start at any time. Not a terrible outcome.
But finances are getting thinner if I don't launch something successful in the near/mid future. So if there's anything I can do to tip the odds in my favor and give me a sales boost, I'd like to pull that lever. Particularly since amplifying a launch is a heck of a lot easier than building a new game and trying again :)