My save game has gone sideways. I lost 95% of my explored map, tiles changed, DMC went 'dead' (no Canteen, Store indicator, Hatter, or Motel). I'm still able to enter DMC and use the landmarks there, even getting kicked out once. I lost everything I had stored in my vehicle that I had dumped at the motel, but kept everything I had on me. My minimap included the cryo facility and a few surrounding tiles, so I went back to check it out and the dead Dogman's fur was still where I had left it.
The following is what I was up to before the corruption...
- I had modified the game variable to allow 20 points to start instead of 15, but otherwise use no mods or changes.
- My character had +Strong, +Melee, +Botany, +Hiding, +Hacking, +Lockpick, +Athletic, -Metabolism, -Insomnia, and -Myopic
- This was the third character I had played after setting the point total to 20, but the longest to survive.
- I traveled directly to DMC, using Botany to survive on mushrooms and berries. I didn't dawdle anywhere, but did scavenge until I had found a lighter, a pan, and enough clothing to stay warm.
- I gave Hatter the flash drive of me kicking the dogman's ass, and was wearing the bracelet to enter DMC.
- I had gone in and looked around, eating a single meal and paying for it with a tip.
- I used Botany to create Tannin tea for sale and earned around $4500 before the corruption.
- I used keyboard shortcuts for "Use" (2) and "Delete" (3) while interacting with a pond and forest to generate the raw materials I needed.
- I did, several times, rapidly click to interact with the pond and forest to generate large amounts of raw materials quickly. I generated so much wood clutter that it filled the screen each time, maybe overflowing into second screens.
- I rapidly deleted excess wood clutter, leaving just the twigs and a single stack of branches for making fires.
- In the crafting screen on my forest tile, large logs and branches took up a lot of space and I deleted them inside the crafting screen using the keyboard shortcut. What struck me as odd was that these logs and branches did not appear in the forest tile, even when I sorted the tile automatically.
- I had rented a hatchback for a day, then a week when I had enough money and stored everything I didn't immediately need for Tannin production there.
- I had found a full 99.9% suit of tactical gear, apparently dropped by a dead soldier. I had that collected and stored in the hatchback.
- I renewed my hatchback rental for another week maybe 4-5 days into the first rental, paranoid about losing that tactical gear.
- Each day I filled the Junk Merchant's inventory with Tannin and bought anything useful to store.
- One day the Junk Merchant didn't appear to refresh his inventory at midnight, as when I checked in with him in the morning, he still had a pile of Tannin Tea. I couldn't recall if I sold anything at night, but didn't think I did.
- Between the Junk Merchant and the annoying piles of logs and branches, I decided to try and 'clean up' things by saving & quitting. I closed the game after and restarted it.
- When I came back, I was still in the tile for the motel but the motel was gone - nothing at all to interact with.
- The minimap had changed and the fog of war covered everything except what I could see around me and a few tiles around the cryo facility.
- The names of all the DMC facilities were gone from the map.
- The other DMC interactions were gone - Hatter's access panel, the Canteen's eatery sign, etc.
- The Junk Merchant's inventory was reset, and it worked as expected, but he had no name on his tile.
- All of the tiles around DMC that I was used to seeing had been respawned or re-created randomly.
- The Gate 11 entrance worked and the interactions inside were normal.
- I traveled back to the cryo facility, hoping to trip a trigger or switch to re-activate the DMC tiles.
- The cryo facility still had the items I left there.
I suspect I broke the game by holding "2" (Use) and clicking too quickly while generating wood clutter. The tile was filled with wood I couldn't see except in the crafting menu - and pressing "3" (Delete) in the Crafting menu to remove them there had no effect and they'd come back each time I opened the crafting menu for that tile.
Another side-effect was that the inventory screens I had on me, the skill screen, and the cryo facility inventory were all out of sync with items and skills overflowing off the inventory slots. The character inventory and cryo facility were correctable using the auto-sort. The skills outside the skill slots were not able to be picked up and moved, but other skills could be re-sorted manually.