Ostranauts

The Drama Room 2.0

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Once again, sorry for the lapse in news yesterday. My conference calls with the contract devs in the other hemisphere basically means my afternoons sometimes run late.

However, we're having some really productive discussions!

Our first attempt at the drama room experiment started strong, but we quickly realized it was a dead end. It was fun watching the crew respond to our input, but there weren't many options for strategy or gameplay.

Murder In the Drama Room!

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! As mentioned yesterday, we'll be looking into crew drama and management next. Basically, doing a hack job prototype to get some ideas up and running, and to hopefully figure out the best way of making this feature a viable game mechanic.

Our first test is a simple drama scene:

HUD Rework, Keybindings, Social Combat Sprint

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! First off, sorry for yesterday's missing news post. I was on a dev conference call that was pretty productive, and that ran long (into dinner).

That said, we have made some decent progress in the past few days. Front and center is Michael's latest feature: custom key bindings!

Audio Integration, Debug Jumper, and Other Fixes

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Bit of a mixed bag today, as I tackled a variety of unrelated things to both unblock others and make things run smoother.

HUD Overhaul, Audio, Debug Info, and Nav Shortcuts

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! My apologies for the missed news yesterday. We devs had a conference call at the end of the day, and it ran a bit long.

However, it was a productive chat! We all fired-up the game, and talked about how the salvage game loop felt. Each of us started in the same save file, in a salvage pod docked with a derelict. No starting tools, so first step was to board the derelict in search of useful tools.

Lamps, Inventory, Hacking, and Accounting

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Got a little bit done on the work lamp today. Chris tried out a hacking effect. Michael's updated the inventory grid. And administrivia strikes again!

The work lamp now support a power toggle action, so it can be found in an "off" state, switched on, and used around dark places. Still no battery usage or anything, but it's getting there!

Work Lamps, and Locks vs. AI

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Mostly relaxing here, and discovering just how little insulation our old house's walls have :)

Back at work, I set about fixing the way AIs interact with locks. Previously, they could just grab anything they wanted from any container. But now that we have locks, that won't do.

Instead, I added code to selectively control whether the various "get item" functions allow bypassing locks. And the need for this varies quite a lot!

K-Leg Shopkeepers, Inventory UI, and Bug Fixes

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Busy day today, as we continued to smooth out the salvage experience.

K-Leg station got a bunch of upgrades to shore-up the process of offloading and buying loot. There's now a dedicated hardware store and shopkeeper, from whom we can purchase tools to salvage, or sell tools we find. I also adjusted the forbidden NPC zones so the shopkeepers would stay in their store.

The shop back rooms and HVAC/reactor rooms on K-Leg are now behind locked doors. And I made a bunch of changes to ensure locks are reset when ships get spawned from templates.

Looting a Derelict!

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Today I tackled a few remaining bugs, so that I could finally test the stuff we've been working on: looting a derelict!

The first order of business was to fix the velocity calculations in the celestial bodies. After Chris upgraded a lot of the code to honor Sir Kepler, the velocities were no longer accurate. We chatted a bit about it yesterday, and he suggested we numerically solve for V, since the direct calculation would be a lot more complex/slow.

Data Cards, UI Clean-Up, and Celestial Precision

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Some more progress to show today on both locks and UI, plus a small fix to celestial mechanics involving precision.

The main thing on display today is data cards, which are sort of a stopgap I've added to cover our data/info item needs. Each PIN lock needs a unique code, so the first thing I did was to setup ship initialization to assign one to each lock when finished.