neo scavenger

Your NEO Scavenger & Ostranauts in-universe stories wanted!

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks!

We're getting ready to share some in-universe communications from the world of Ostranauts, and we’d like you to take part in that!

Please post your best in-universe tales on this reddit thread, inspired by your time in NEO Scavenger, and by the story trailer for Ostranauts.

Close, but Maybe Not Close Enough

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! I decided to give it another day of my time, as a few more ideas occurred to me overnight. And I did make a little bit of progress. But I'm not sure it'll be enough to make it worthwhile.

We May Have a Problem

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Looks like the new build isn't all it's cracked up to be. So far, out of two tests reported by users, only one had any amount of success. And even that was wanting.

Sneak Peek

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Got a bit of a sneak peek for you today.

I've uploaded the newest "test" build of NEO Scavenger, v1.3.0 to the BBG website. And anyone with access to the full version on this site can click the "test" download links to get it. This is the Haxe engine port I've been working on over the last little while, and features a number of improvements and fixes, and should feel more like a native app than the old Flash one. (Namely, because it is a native app now!)


dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! I think we may be, dare I say it, done? As of about 3pm today, I was able to compile and run NEO Scavenger Haxe edition on all three platforms without crashes!

90% of my day was spent futilely poking the code and flailing about, rebuilding the entire dll and game projects each time, hoping to see the needle move even a little. I even got down and dirty into some byte allocation/deallocation code, thinking I could wiggle past the malloc bug plaguing me on OSX/Linux.


dcfedor's picture

I thought I was this close today (fingers very close together). I messed around with ByteArray conversion to Bytes, big and little endian, compressed and non-compressed...and finally got it working!

On Windows.

In the end, I just had to ensure my ByteArray was parsed, byte-by-byte into a Bytes class, and fed to the OGG parser. That, and I had an error in my sound filenames that missed some folders. But it worked. I could include a packed audio file in the game assets, and load OGGs from it at runtime!

OSX and Linux Builds Now "Work"

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Another slog of a day, as I worked on getting the Linux build running.

Most of the morning was spent in a mode similar to my OSX day: chasing phantom errors in the build process which were not really the issue. I couldn't build the game because the lime compile was missing a header file. Chasing down that header file got me further, but then I was missing some Linux libs. After those were installed, I ran into a missing ndll for Linux (we never needed one before on mobile, so it wasn't in the repo).

OSX and Linux Builds

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Tried tackling the OSX and Linux builds today, and let me tell you, I sure didn't enjoy that. Still struggling a bit, in fact.

Windows Done, Testing Mac

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. Ours was packed full of...well, everything. Eating, yard work, hosting guests, visiting festivals. A lot of fun, but man, we're exhausted.

Back at work, I resumed putting the finishing touches on the Windows build. A few extra log messages to help users with debugging, a custom desktop message file from which to get news when the game launches, a fix to the loading bar. Pretty minor stuff.

Looping Music

dcfedor's picture

Hey Folks! Not a lot of progress today, unfortunately. I spent the entire day debugging a music looping issue, and in the end, had to hack my way around it.

The problem happens when the looping wilderness music reaches the end of the track, and instead of restarting, just stops. This is a fairly rare occurrence in the game, since there is only a chance any track is going to be the looping one, the tracks only play every 10ish minutes, and this bug only happens if the portion of the track played starts near the end and overlaps the loop point.