Hope for a Crash Fix? Plus New Track, and Orbits
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. We decided to have fun this weekend, as opposed to unpacking/cleaning/fixing the house. Hawaiian poke, gourmet cupcakes, pho, and lakeside burgers were among the highlights. Yum!
I apologize for the lack of news Friday. Part of said weekend o' fun involved quitting early Friday since there wasn't much on my plate for once.
Exciting news from Friday, nevertheless: Tiago figured out what causes iPad 3 crashes! It turns out our very own fix to make it look good on high DPI devices (e.g. iPhones 6 and later) didn't sit well with iPad 3. Our guess is that since iPad 3 lives in a weird limbo where it has a retina screen but pre-retina hardware to run it, things get bogged-down on that device. The iPad 2 lasts a bit longer due to the lower screen resolution, and probably, the iPad 4 would last longer due to the beefier hardware to run the Retina screen.
So that's the good news. The bad news, is we don't have a way to make it work on both High and non-High DPI devices yet. The current plan is to see if there's a way to switch this rendering mode at runtime by detecting the device before launch. But this sort of device polling has already proven tricky, if the iPhone 6 fix was any indication.
I also finally finished uploading screenshots for all app stores and device sizes Friday. It took longer than it should've, but I should hopefully be set for a while.
For today, work mostly focused on admin stuff, and providing feedback to Josh on his latest track. He sent me a new piece to be used in a slick lounge/bar where players can recruit folks, or just get some R&R. His track was good, but there as this one bit I really loved and wanted to hear more of. His revision pushed it a bit more, and I think it'll fit well.
I'm planning to have three "styles" of bar. The aforementioned "slick" one, a techno one I've mentioned in earlier posts (like the bars in Shadowrun Genesis version mixed with Tech Noir from Terminator), and a backwater bar. This last one is where I spent a bunch of time collecting some examples of what I have in mind. We'll have to see if Josh thinks he can make it work or not.
Finally, since I'm still in a holding pattern on just about all things, I dusted off the old space prototype. Took me a while to figure out where I left off. I had to disable an audio-looping experiment that I wired-up when Josh and I were tinkering, and then I had to re-enable orbital track plotting for a UI I was working on. But that's back up and running now, and I started working on making the orbital plotting use actual data instead of test values.
It feels good to be playing with that code again. I'm anxious to resume!