Site Update, Bug Fixes

Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Getting ready for Thanksgiving season here, and have already had on TG-spinoff: Dessertgiving! (It's pretty much what it sounds like.)

Back at work, it was a bit of a slow day as I had to run some errands midway through. I did, however, update the site, and knock-off a few more bugs.

The site needed yet another patch, so I had to take it offline briefly to upload/install. It's not a difficult process, but tedious. Fortunately, it went smoothly, and we were back online within minutes.

In the realm of bugs, I was able to solve a small UI issue with decimals in the "moves left" area. And I also found and fixed some issues with saving preferences, mute, and autosave. Nothing mission critical, but some users will appreciate the game, you know, doing what they tell it to :)

Tiago's still tracking down a memory leak that will probably hobble/kill the game on iOS. He's seeing ~1MB per turn, and sometimes much larger spikes. Also, spikes when starting a new game.

If any of this sounds hauntingly familiar, you've probably been reading this blog for a few years :) I've asked Tiago to let me know what he's doing to test memory, and I'll see if any of the old Flash memory optimizations are the culprit this time around. (E.g. text rendering bloat, AI bloat, undisposed references between turns/games, etc.)

That's all for today. Have a good night, and see you tomorrow!


matsy's picture

I feel his pain in memory leaks. I spent what must of been a year finding them in a large corporate application. Cut down the memory usage by 75℅ in the end though!

dcfedor's picture

It's amazing what you find when you spend some time looking specifically for leaks. Despite the best intentions, we produce some pretty leaky stuff!

Dan Fedor - Founder, Blue Bottle Games