• Art Briefing, Pallas, and Titan

    Hey Folks! Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. The little one had a birthday party to attend, so it was a social weekend for us. Plus, milder weather meant yard work!

    Back at the office, today was pretty much all email and admin. Some quick financial heartbeat checks in the morning, and then I was off working on an assignment briefing for the art contractor I mentioned last week. As

  • Loading Snag, Fixes, Art Help, and OOO

    Hey Folks! Bit of a mixed bag today, split between fixing some smaller bugs, discovering an iceberg of a bug, and looking for artists.

    Most of the morning was spent looking at artists, for a change. I'm still toying with the idea of contracting an artist to help with that side of things. The art style I have in mind is fairly close to what you see already, but I think it could be

  • We're Loaded!

    Hey Folks! I think loading is mostly working now.

    Today's screenshot shows a sample game I loaded from a json file generated in an earlier session. Notable features include:

    The player ship is the tiny room with a chair at the bottom of the screen. The currently docked station is the larger layout of rooms and corridors above. (MTRS station) All ship and station parts are
  • Loading...

    Hey Folks! More work on the loader today. As you can see from today's screenshot :)

    It's coming along, but not without some expected speed bumps. I wasted a good hour or two on LitJson again, debugging its cryptic error messages. In the end, it turned out I had two issues.

    First, my last names data was a different structure than the rest of my data (flat array vs. the

  • Load/Save Compiling, Main Menu

    Hey Folks! Finally got a chance to dive into some code today. And as you can see from the image above, I did a bit of main menu prototyping.

    First, however, I had to fix-up the remaining compiler errors. And that meant figuring out where I left off before vacation. Fortunately, I kept pretty good notes, so it wasn't too bad to reorient myself. My main goal before break was to get

  • Welcome Back!

    Happy 2018, Folks! After two weeks of (mostly) trying to stay away from work, I think I'm pretty well recharged and ready to get back to business.

    Unfortunately, those two weeks of absence meant a lot of email and admin tasks piled up. So that's where today started. Getting various federal tax forms collected and sent, paying business license taxes, catching up on emails and

  • Happy Holidays!

    Hey Folks! Short news today, as I have to head out to meet the fam. Mostly tax and accounting stuff today, anyway. I did manage to get more done on saving/loading, but there's still a bit to go. Basically, almost to the point where it'll compile, then the real fun begins :)

    More importantly, the holidays are here! I'll be home over the next 1-2 weeks, but not working, so

  • Saving Works! Now to Load It Again...

    Hey Folks! Got the save system working today, and have written out my first few save files successfully. They're doozies, too. 700kB of text data just for that cramped ship layout you see above with two crew members. Lots of stuff to save, I guess. Star system info, every object in the game, the ships, waypoints, message logs...the works. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out

  • Json json json json beans json...

    Hey Folks! Sorry in advance for the less exciting post today. I actually did quite a bit of coding, even going as far as closing email and other non-essential apps to focus. But it's not anything to look at, really, unless you like data.

    Json data, that is :)

    To-date, all of the data in the game is already stored in Json format, so this isn't anything new. And for those

  • Air Pumps, Backups, and Save Files

    Hey Folks! More clean-up and prep today, plus a bit of investigation into what will probably be the next big task: saving game state.

    After yesterday's performance housekeeping, the game was a bit more usable with large ships loaded. And one of the finishing touches to that change was to fix the camera panning to be independent of frame rate. A large part of what alerted me to the