New Beta Build: Wound System
Hold on to your bandages, folks. The wound update is in. I've just uploaded beta v0.943b, which includes the wounding system I've been talking about.
Heads up: when I loaded the new copy of the game, it took quite a while the first time. Hung at 35% for close to a minute. Give it some time, and if that doesn't help, try force-reloading the page (shift+F5 or ctrl+F5 on most browsers).
New Beta Build v0.943b
While the wound system is the big ticket item this build, there are quite a few changes under the hood. So please be patient if I broke something in all the changes! Here's a run-down:
- New title screen music, courtesy of Josh Culler!
- Wounds are now on each body part, and are either blunt, cuts, or both.
- Cuts cause bleeding, which drains the creature's overall blood supply each turn.
- Cuts also introduce a risk of infection in the wound, which counts against the player's overall immune system.
- Blunt attacks cause bruising and pain. Severe blunt trauma causes broken bones and bleeding.
- Blood supply slowly regenerates over time. Slower when the creature is in bad shape, faster when healthy.
- Immune system restores over time, like blood.
- Wounds slowly heal, based on player's heal rate.
- Per-wound infections get worse over time, but as the cut heals, the infection gets weaker.
- Sleeping and resting in camp increase the rate at which blood, immune system, and wounds heal.
- All wounds have a pain value, which counts against the creature's overall pain tolerance.
- Wound pain decreases over time, with the wound's severity.
- Player's health status page now replaces old "Conditions" page. Shows wounds, conditions.
- Bleeding wounds can be staunched by dropping rags onto them. Dirty rags may cause infection. Clean rags will get dirty over time.
- Infected wounds can be cleaned with pure water, whiskey, tannin tea, or water purification pills.
- Pain can be reduced by drinking whiskey, but being drunk affects the blood, so beware.
- Broken bones will cripple the creature to various degrees, possibly blocking certain actions.
- Broken bones can be splinted in much the same way as wounds are bandaged.
- Non-splinted fractures heal slower, and sometimes re-break.
- Splinted fractures steadily heal over time.
- Many vital wound locations (head, chest, stomach) have adverse side effects if severely wounded.
- The medkit increases the rate of healing in many ways, but will not mend all conditions.
- Sicknesses like cholera now affect the immune system.
- Drinking tannin tea or taking antibiotics will help boost the immune system recovery.
- Creatures in severe enough pain may pass out until the pain subsides.
- Painkiller pills will help remove pain temporarily.
- Health screen shows additional data if Medic skill taken.
- Camp screen now only shows some bars if Hide, Trapping, or Medic skill taken.
- Title screen now has a date of last update!
- Ranged attacks are now possible when fallen in battle.
- Unconscious creatures are easier to hit in battle, and damage to them is higher per hit.
- Battle moves are now much more costly in terms of fatigue.
- Message window now broadcasts better battle info for both player and targets.
- Tough and Frail now affect pain threshold and healing rates for creatures.
- Metabolism Fast/Slow skills now affect healing rates.
- Some creatures now have Tough skill.
- 2x and 3x water boiling should work with mixed water types now.
- Clothes can be torn into rags.
There are quite a few, less visible, bug fixes in there too. It's a pretty big update. So again, if anything goes awry, let me know in the forums.
And either way, I'm interested to hear what you think of the new system! Hope you enjoy!