New Test Beta: Modding!
I've just finished uploading new test beta 0.987b, which now supports modding! It also has a handful of fixes to issues discovered in the last build. I've also promoted the previous 0.986b test build to default build status.
The build is available to anyone who owns the beta at bluebottlegames.com, or on Desura and Steam. Desura (and therefore, Groupees) users can use Desura Connect to gain access here, or even get their Steam keys and try it on Steam.
To access the test build on the official site, simply visit the beta page, and click any of the download links below the usual Windows, Mac, and Linux buttons.
Steam users can access the test build by opting into the beta for it.
Loading mod data file...
Updates Included in the Test Beta
Test beta 0.987b includes the following changes:
Seriously, this is as much a surprise to me as it may be to you. I've been exploring different ways to bypass Flash's security limitations, but haven't had much luck. However, in the past week or two, I found a way to make the downloadable versions load external data from the file system.
It turns out that Flash's projector format will allow limited loading of local files. It has to be packaged a certain way, and I had to do some voodoo to make it work across all three platforms. However, the game now loads data from an XML text file, and images from a folder. No more flaky editing of EXE files!
"Now what?" you ask? Well, I'll have to write some documentation to help intrepid modders understand the data format. For now, though, just poke around. Some of it should be pretty intuitive.
In addition to the above:
- Added code and condition to hide clothes/item sprites on certain creatures.
- Changed terrain resources to drop their resources directly onto ground isntead of inside the river/marsh/etc.
- Changed dodge/parry language to say "move" instead of "attack," since that was confusing if player didn't attack.
- Changed sleep button to hide "unconscious" and "fallen" messages when clicked, since they confused some players.
- Fixed pixel overlap on backpack and backpack slot graphics.
- Fixed water appearing in Looter convo marsh option.
- Fixed stacking bug when destination stack is in locked slot.
- Fixed a bug that broke conversation with looter after mentioning cryo.
- Fixed a bug that caused null pointer when encounter removes an item that degrades when used.
- Fixed a bug that caused conditions to stick when emtpying batteries from "on" devices.
- Fixed a bug that caused repeated warning encounters when player and opponents are both unconscious in battle.
- Fixed typo in cryo encounter.
- Fixed broken spy button.
- Fixed weather icon showing moon at dusk instead of night.
- Fixed GUI Craft Cap BG image being too zoomed in while using big layout.
- Fixed a bug that caused prev/next crafting ingredient buttons to show tooltips when invisible.
- Fixed DMC exile condition to expire after 1 year.
Most of these are fixes to issues discovered in 0.986b, so this should represent a more stable version of that build. I changed the way terrain resources (lakes, etc.) work, so now they just get "used" instead of containing items and requiring emptying each time. And I made a few more UI improvements.
A small list this time, but with big implications! Finally, folks can start tinkering with game data, trying ideas, and I'm excited to see what you can do with the game. Do keep me posted on the forums with any cool mods you've done or hear about!
As always, let me know what you think of the changes, and if you notice any issues with the new build!