New Beta Test Build: Hex Art, New Faction & Encounter, AI Fixes, and More
I've just finished uploading new test beta 0.985b, which includes new content, a new faction, and several fixes. I've also promoted the previous 0.984b test build to default build status.
The build is available to anyone who owns the beta at bluebottlegames.com, or on Desura and Steam. Desura (and therefore, Groupees) users can use Desura Connect to gain access here, or even get their Steam keys and try it on Steam.
To access the test build on the official site, simply visit the beta page, and click any of the download links below the usual Windows, Mac, and Linux buttons.
Steam users can access the test build by opting into the beta for it. To do so, open up your Steam client and:
- Right-click on NEO Scavenger in your Steam library
- Choose "Properties"
- Choose the "BETAS" tab in the resulting dialog box.
- In the drop-down, select "public_test."
Choose the "public_test" option on the "BETAS" tab in NEO Scavenger's properties.
Following the above steps will begin downloading version 0.985 immediately. Just click "Play" when it's done!
Updates Included in the Test Beta
Test beta 0.985b includes the following changes:
- Added new major encounter/location in wilderness.
- Added new faction with wandering creatures.
- Added new faction equipment.
- Added new hex art for Allegan, Isotope Mine, Zom Zom's, and Strange Forest.
- Added encounter illustration by Max Antonov for Haggerty Health Clinic.
- Added combat ability DMC guards to summon sniper.
- Added code to strip all passive moves from AI choices when target is an enemy. (Prevent stuck AI from randomly choosing passives.)
- Added crawl towards and away moves, for when AI is crippled and fallen, and tends to choose passive when it shouldn't.
- Added code to anger AI if player is ignoring talk and ceasefire offers.
- Added code to show 0.1% item condition when low enough to round to 0.0%.
- Added code to prevent "delete" and "use" cursor modes on crafting screen.
- Added code to hook up spacebar to crafting clear button.
- Added code to message player when hiding changes campsite.
- Changed Merga Wraith to disappear when talisman removed, and will not linger and fight if talisman restored.
- Changed Merga Wraith AI to always attack player if it can, exit if it can't, and despawn if player is invalid target.
- Changed AI's method of selecting random move to be weighted by priority, rather than just ranked.
- Changed well-fed condition to hunger sated.
- Changed well-hydrated condition to thirst slaked.
- Changed value of tannin tea to be more than pure water (Since it acts like pure water and antibiotics combined.)
- Changed NPC battle move icon to be mirrored in battle, for clarity (charge/retreat).
- Changed arrow degrade rates to be slower.
- Changed DMC Guards to start with fresh equipment.
- Changed medium campfire to always produce 4 ashes when extinguished.
- Changed small parts and similar items to have shorter names.
- Fixed a bug in AI faction standings save data, which caused strange AI behavior in battle.
- Fixed a bug in the despawn code. Now despawn completely and immediately.
- Fixed index out of range bug in random move selection.
- Fixed a bug that allowed reinforcement battle move to break local population caps.
- Fixed a bug that caused wound to be "null" in message log.
- Fixed a bug that failed to clean and dress wounds when purchasing said service at HH.
- Fixed missing wounds in crazy random encounter.
- Fixed empty travois image to have less wasted/empty space.
- Fixed a bug that caused AIs to badmouth player to each other when sharing faction standings each turn.
- Fixed a bug that caused mirrored slots to re-mirror image when emptying containers.
- Fixed a bug that caused stacks to overlap in take/drop when partial stack space was available.
- Fixed a bug that caused infinite scent in hexes.
- Fixed bug that caused slot-swapping to equip water on wound instead of use it.
- Fixed a typo in cryo encounter.
- Fixed a bug that prevented dropping wheelless cart in battle.
- Fixed a bug that allowed TAB to exit encounters and combat prematurely.
- Fixed a bug that caused scavenging to cut short if exit chosen with optional skill/tool.
- Fixed a bug that caused scavenging bars to update incorrectly when exit chosen with other skills/tools.
- Fixed typos in Food Truck encounter near Concrete Apts.
- Fixed balaclava art to fit hoodie and armor better.
- Fixed missing shadow in human and melonhead creature sprites.
- Fixed a bug that caused AI to constantly switch between two similar attack modes.
- Fixed a bug that allowed creatures to continue to attack after falling unconscious against more than one target.
- Fixed a typo in locked storage shed scavenge encounter.
Quite a few surprises await you in 0.985!
One of the highlights in this update is the new faction. You'll find a new location in the wilderness, which is home to a new faction of wandering creatures. It also has some information to discover, and services in which to partake.
Furthermore, many of the special hex encounters how have their own hex art. And Haggerty Health clinic now features an illustration by Max Antonov.
0.985b should also include a fix to the AI standings bug we saw in 0.984b. In particular, DMC guards shouldn't attack the player without provocation any more. Quite a few other improvements were made to the AI, too. And there were some specific changes to the DMC guard and Merga Wraith AI. Guards can now call on sniper support when needed, and the Merga Wraith will appear and disappear more accurately based on the player and talisman. It will also focus solely on the player when possible.
Overall, another big batch of fixes, and quite a bit of content, too! As always, let me know what you think of the changes, and if any new bugs arise!