PC Save Corruption: The Search Continues
Hey Folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours involved a lot of cleaning poop and pee as we potty trained the little one. Progress is being made. But so much poop and pee... Good research for NEO Scavenger 2, perhaps.
I spent pretty much the entire day trying to reproduce the PC save corruption bug. And at one point, I thought I had it! But alas, no luck yet.
One of the users on BBG's forums, onioneer, had a promising sounding save and repro steps from his machine. From his own testing, the save he sent me would corrupt fairly shortly after loading it. So I fired that up this morning, and went to work.
The file increased in size, from 2.1MB to 2.8MB without any issue, but suddenly, Flash was asking for permission to use more space. Could this be it? Maybe the save corruption was a result of Flash not having the permission it needed? Maybe it wasn't asking when it needed to, and just bailed out before completing the save?
As it turns out, probably not. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get Flash to trip-up and do a partial save. I tried messing around with files, changing my settings, ignoring the dialog, adding files behind the dialog's back after changing settings, etc. No dice. The way Flash works, it writes all the data to memory first, then checks for space to write the file, and only writes it if there is space (and permission). So that wasn't it.
And so I continued, with the playtesting raising save file past 3MB and counting.
I think one other possibility might be a crash while writing the save file due to a memory limit. But it's hard to fake that situation to test it.
A third possibility, which may be more likely, is simply other stuff messing with Flash as it's writing. Things like browsers, Cookie Cleaner, virus software, or even save managers could be interrupting a write process before it finishes. The trouble with that theory is that I'd have to randomly start installing all kinds of software to even try it, and I'm not anxious to start that combinatorial nightmare without a better clue to go on.
So for now, it seems, the save corruption mystery continues.
I'll likely resume mobile dev tomorrow, if I can. Tiago seems to have a solution working for Android, and is checking iOS to see if it needs a fix, too. Hopefully, we'll be ready soon. The patch is burning a hole in my pocket!