Mobile Patch Fixes, and Out-of-Office for a Week(ish)
Hey Folks! The mobile patch was delayed a bit by some last-minute bug discoveries with the fix. Still looking to get it out soon, though.
Once the patch is ready and passes testing, it'll have the following fixes:
- Added button on Options menu to disable tap-to-zoom.
- Added code to prevent tap-zooming in loading, main menu, and game over screens.
- Added code to un-zoom screen if main menu or game over screen appears.
- Fixed a bug that caused minimap to display correctly on some devices.
- Fixed an Android focus in/out bug (now the game won't be terminated after a while in background).
- Fixed a bug that caused a black screen when running the game without internet connection.
- Fixed bug that caused battle hex sprite to appear on inventory screens.
- Fixed a bug that prevented entering Concrete Forest if wanted but no tracking device.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Concrete Forest tenants from calling police.
- Fixed a bug in demo that allowed crafting shotgun w/strap using .308 as input.
- Fixed special character encoding bug in encounters.
- Fixed minimap hotkey reference in first nightfall encounter.
- Fixed a bug that caused the minimap cursor alignment to be off on some screens.
Of course, this doesn't fix all of the issues that have been reported. But these were the first batch we could reliably fix quickly, and which hopefully solve some of the pain points users have been having. We're hoping to have this patch rolled-out later today or tomorrow, unless we discover any more issues with it.
Out of Office
Also, just a heads-up, I'll be out of the office starting tomorrow, and will be back in the office on the 16th. During this time, I'll still be checking messages periodically, and if something explodes, I'll be able to respond. But otherwise, I may be slow to respond. Rest assured that once I'm back, I'll be resuming normal operations and working on getting mobile polished further.
Apart from the above two items, I also reviewed Michael's latest Xinhua setting doc. And it is very cool. Even if the space prototype isn't really playable yet, the world it takes place in is shaping up nicely :)
Finally, I also wrapped-up my final payment to the web dev team for the new site today. After this, it's more of an a-la-carte arrangement where I can pay them to develop new features, fix things, or update the site. It feels really good to be winding-down the outgoing streams of money. Between completing the website contract, ramping-down mobile dev costs, and ramping-up mobile revenue, I think this might buy me some time to resume work on the space prototype.
So far, the mobile port is still a net loss in terms of money. It's only been on the market about a week, though, so time will tell. At the current rate, I think it'll pay for itself in a month or two, and hopefully add to NEO Scavenger's desktop "long tail" enough to keep me afloat while I (literally) build and prep the space game for launch.
And whatever the financial outcome, I will say this: the mobile port has garnered me a lot of non-monetary goodness, from awesome contractors, to a wider awareness of NEO Scavenger. (Steam sales are actually up for the first time in months!) So while it took way longer and more dollars than planned to get this mobile thing out the door, I think it'll end up being a net win no matter what.
Now, let's just see if I can get it polished, and get a space game out before this next financial cushion fails :)
Have a good week (plus change) folks, and see you when I'm back!